E-M:/ MUCC sells out

Enviro-Mich message from "Terry Swier" <tswier@hotmail.com>

MUCC Sells Out

Is MUCC, Michigan United Conservation Club, selling out the Great Lakes and our water future? It would appear so. Anyone following the Great Lakes, Great Michigan campaign might wonder why MUCC is practically the lone wolf in opposing the critically important water diversion protections supported by more than 54 other groups, including the Izaak Walton League of America, League of Women Voters, Michigan League of Conservation Voters, Michigan Environmental Council, Michigan Citizens for Water Conservation, and many, many others. I think I know the answer. On the front page of MUCC's Tracks Magazine November-December issue is the credit "Funded by Ice Mountain." Inside you see that MUCC thanks Ice Mountain for the funding again. So, MUCC is funding this expensive, high quality, four-color magazine for MUCC and, perhaps, more. This is the same Ice Mountain whose parent company, Nestlé, is suing the state to overturn the federal Water Resource Development Act protections against Great Lakes water diversions. This is the same Nestlé that is twisting legislative arms so it can privatize our Great Lakes waters and ship them for profit at virtually no benefit to Michigan. The same Nestlé that is in the courts with Michigan Citizens for Water Conservation. The same Nestlé that is at odds with virtually the entire environmental community and the majority of Michigan residents who favor protections against water diversions.

Shame on MUCC! They need to explain why they are taking Nestlé?s money and how that is influencing the way it is representing its members on this issue

Terry Swier