E-M:/ RE: / MUCC sells out

Enviro-Mich message from "Amanda Hathaway" <ahathaway@mucc.org>

Selling out or operating in the real world?

For almost seven decades, Michigan United Conservation Clubs (MUCC) has
been at the forefront of protecting Michigan?s treasurered natural
resources.  Throughout our history, we have joined with partners from
the private sector to educate our citizens about the importance of
conserving our natural resources.

We have participated for over five years in the development of
meaningful legislation to protect Michigan?s waters.  Our position has
never wavered throughout this time.  Michigan United Conservation Clubs
firmly believes that no one, be they a business, a municipality, a
farmer or an individual should have the right to destroy our
water-dependent natural resources.  Instead of regulating use, MUCC is
supportive of the package of legislation currently being heard by the
Legislature which regulates withdrawals. MUCC, along with National
Wildlife Federation and Trout Unlimited, have steadfastly held this
position through the Senate and now the House debate.  MUCC, in 2004,
joined with Trout Unlimited and National Wildlife Federation in
advancing this argument in our amicus on Nestle vs. Michigan Citizen?s
for Water Conservation.

In regards to Nestle sponsorship of our award-winning Tracks Magazine,
we are fortunate to have a sponsor which provided no direction or made
no editorial requirement in publishing this magazine that is distributed
to 40,000 upper elementary children throughout Michigan and the country
for less than $.40 an issue. We welcome the public to review the five
publications under the Nestle sponsorship and hope they too will learn
about the animals which live in the land/water edge and the importance
of this critical habitat.

Bottom-line, we find it appalling that any other organization or
individual which professes to share similar values would question
MUCCs?integrity and 67-year commitment to our natural resources for a
small grant to educate our elementary youth.  People of good will can
choose different paths to protect our natural resources.  However, the
use of innuendo serves to divide and diminish all of our ability to
affect meaningful change and achieve our shared goals.

Sam Washington
MUCC Executive Director