Re: E-M:/ RE: / MUCC sells out

Enviro-Mich message from Cyndi Roper <croper@cleanwater.org>

The issue at hand is not MUCC's history of protecting Michigan's natural resources. Instead, it is what's happening right now in the halls of the state Capitol.

Right now, the Nestle Corporation (parent company of Ice Mountain) is suing in federal court to take away the water diversion veto power of the Great Lakes Governors. If Nestle succeeds in its lawsuit, this veto power, which is granted through the federal Water Resources Development Act, will be eliminated. Consequently, the only speedbump the people of the Great Lakes States have to prevent water from leaving the Basin will be gone.

Not only is Nestle suing to take away that power but they are spearheading an all out arm twisting effort in Lansing to prevent the legislature from passing an amendment that would create a first line of defense against diversions of Michigan's water. This "diversion protection" amendment to the water withdrawal legislation currently moving through the legislature would help maintain public control and ownership of OUR water.

Simply put, Clean Water Action and a host of other groups do not want Nestle or any other corporation to decide when, if and how water is to leave the Great Lakes Basin. This amendment would not ban diversions. Instead, it would entrust our elected officials to decide if a private interest should be allowed to pursue projects that would divert water from the Great Lakes Basin.

We believe the legislature should make these decisions, which would provide a check on proposals to divert water from Michigan in any container whether it's a tanker truck, a ship, a pipeline or, yes, a bottle. Again, we do not believe Nestle or other corporations will represent the public. Only our elected officials can do this.

So, while MUCC has a long history of resource protection, the fact that they are missing from action in the battle to maintain public ownership and control of Michigan's most treasured natural resource -- its water -- is regrettable.

Cyndi

Cyndi Roper, Great Lakes Policy Director
Clean Water Action

Amanda Hathaway wrote:

Enviro-Mich message from "Amanda Hathaway" <ahathaway@mucc.org>

Selling out or operating in the real world?

For almost seven decades, Michigan United Conservation Clubs (MUCC) has
been at the forefront of protecting Michigan’s treasurered natural
resources. Throughout our history, we have joined with partners from
the private sector to educate our citizens about the importance of
conserving our natural resources.

We have participated for over five years in the development of
meaningful legislation to protect Michigan’s waters.  Our position has
never wavered throughout this time.  Michigan United Conservation Clubs
firmly believes that no one, be they a business, a municipality, a
farmer or an individual should have the right to destroy our
water-dependent natural resources.  Instead of regulating use, MUCC is
supportive of the package of legislation currently being heard by the
Legislature which regulates withdrawals. MUCC, along with National
Wildlife Federation and Trout Unlimited, have steadfastly held this
position through the Senate and now the House debate.  MUCC, in 2004,
joined with Trout Unlimited and National Wildlife Federation in
advancing this argument in our amicus on Nestle vs. Michigan Citizen’s
for Water Conservation.

In regards to Nestle sponsorship of our award-winning Tracks Magazine,
we are fortunate to have a sponsor which provided no direction or made
no editorial requirement in publishing this magazine that is distributed
to 40,000 upper elementary children throughout Michigan and the country
for less than $.40 an issue. We welcome the public to review the five
publications under the Nestle sponsorship and hope they too will learn
about the animals which live in the land/water edge and the importance
of this critical habitat.

Bottom-line, we find it appalling that any other organization or
individual which professes to share similar values would question
MUCCs’integrity and 67-year commitment to our natural resources for a
small grant to educate our elementary youth. People of good will can
choose different paths to protect our natural resources. However, the
use of innuendo serves to divide and diminish all of our ability to
affect meaningful change and achieve our shared goals.

Sam Washington
MUCC Executive Director

-----Original Message----- From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net [mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Terry Swier Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 10:20 PM To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net Subject: E-M:/ MUCC sells out

-
Enviro-Mich message from "Terry Swier" <tswier@hotmail.com>
-

MUCC Sells Out

Is MUCC, Michigan United Conservation Club, selling out the Great Lakes
and our water future? It would appear so. Anyone following the Great
Lakes, Great Michigan campaign might wonder why MUCC is practically the lone
wolf in opposing the critically important water diversion protections
supported by more than 54 other groups, including the Izaak Walton League of
America, League of Women Voters, Michigan League of Conservation Voters, Michigan

Environmental Council, Michigan Citizens for Water Conservation, and
many, many others. I think I know the answer. On the front page of MUCC's
Tracks Magazine November-December issue is the credit "Funded by Ice Mountain."

Inside you see that MUCC thanks Ice Mountain for the funding again. So,

MUCC is funding this expensive, high quality, four-color magazine for
MUCC and, perhaps, more. This is the same Ice Mountain whose parent company,

Nestlé, is suing the state to overturn the federal Water Resource Development Act protections against Great Lakes water diversions. This
is the same Nestlé that is twisting legislative arms so it can privatize
our Great Lakes waters and ship them for profit at virtually no benefit to Michigan. The same Nestlé that is in the courts with Michigan Citizens
for Water Conservation. The same Nestlé that is at odds with virtually the entire environmental community and the majority of Michigan residents
who favor protections against water diversions.

Shame on MUCC! They need to explain why they are taking Nestlé’s money
and how that is influencing the way it is representing its members on this
issue

Terry Swier

enviro-mich"

============================================================ ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives at http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/enviro-mich/