Re: E-M:/ Key Envirnonmental Law Under Threat

You are correct, Chris.  But, the proposals do not change the purpose of NEPA, rather most of the changes refer to procedure.  And as far as the quote at the end, to expect the current administration to make a complete 360 in regards to environmental issues is unrealistic and a waste of time.  We should be happy to see them move even a little in the right direction.

Christopher Bedford <chrisbedford@charter.net> wrote:
Melissa,

NEPA functions primarily to give the public and the government a
systematic look at the environmental impacts of a project.
I believe it should be changed to require a project's developer to list
the steps he/she will take to achieve a "sustainable" project --- an
"environmentally good" project rather than just a "less bad project".

"Sustainable" means a number of different things to people.
I subscribe to the ideas put forth by Bill McDonough and Michael
Braungart that define a project's sustainability through its adherence
to Nature's three laws of operation.

Live on current solar income.
Encourage diversity.
Waste equals food.

This last law means that a project produces "zero" waste -- all
processes are designed to be closed loop with the material either
returning safely to the soil as basic elements OR are totally
recaptured and recycled. A project that was built around adherence to
these three laws would require NO permits and NO regulation because
it's impact on the environment would be next to zero. NEPA should
encourage this kind of development.

Bill McDonough says, "When you are going 100 miles an hour in the wrong
direction, it doesn't really help to slow down to 30. You are still
going in the wrong direction. We have to turn around and go in the
right direction."

Chris Bedford

Christopher B. Bedford
Market co-Manager
Sweetwater Local Foods Market
#6543 Hancock Road
Montague, MI 49437
231-893-3937 (o)
231-670-4817 (c)
chrisbedford@charter.net

The Sweetwater Local Foods Market is Michigan's FIRST Farmers Market to
exclusively sell humanely raised animal products and
chemical-free/Certified Organic fruits and vegetables.

SATURDAYS 8am-1pm in the parking lot of Russ' Restaurant at the
intersection of Route 31 and M120 (Holton Road) in Muskegon.