E-M:/ RE: / RE: / DEQ Director Chester Defends CAFOs in Letter to the Editor

Folks -- the Sierra Club has posted the data and materials from the samples for this study on our website at http://michigan.sierraclub.org/issues/cafos/CAFOwater.shtml -- there were 8 sites (10 were originally planned but the consultant could not find two field tile sites so they were dropped) with 12 weeks of samples taken from July - September last year.  98% of the samples, including what were allegedly “upstream” sites had E.coli levels in violation of the state’s water quality standards for full body contact.  The upstream had less, in some cases dramatically less, E.coli than the downstream sites.  One downstream site almost certainly was contaminated by wastes entering from a developed area near the city of Hartford, and that was the site with the worst E.coli counts (3.9 million cfu per 100 ml).  However, other sites in the agricultural lands were also extremely high (1.6 million cfu per 100 ml).

There was also sampling for chemicals, including phosphorus and nitrate/nitrites -- evidently, DEQ staff have been confused that these levels were considered relatively low compared with what they would have expected from the high E.coli reading.  From experts we deal with around the country on CAFO issues, this is not at all surprising.  The Sierra Club has been highly critical of the protocol used in the study so far, and as we delve into more files from the DEQ our concerns have grown.  As a result, we sent a letter last week requesting that the DEQ submit this study protocol and the sampling data to peer review before finalizing it.

We are very disappointed in this letter to the editor for a number of reasons.  The Director appears to reach a conclusion about the study which has not yet been finished (we have learned that the DEQ will in fact be modifying their protocol and expanding the study to include more facilities, which is a step in the right direction).  In addition, I am at a loss to understand this specific statement: However, we must also recognize those farmers who act responsibly and are good environmental stewards. The den Dulk family is spending millions of dollars to improve the management of their waste and to protect water quality at their dairies.

The den Dulks have several CAFOs in Michigan, and in fact were awarded millions in tax payer subsidized loans simply to build the Hartford Dairy CAFO (so call Industrial Development Revenue Bonds (IDRBs) floated by the Michigan Strategic Fund to subsize loans), with no special treatment facilities, and despite the vast opposition of the local community to this facility.  The originally named Liberty Dairy CAFO was permitted right next to the town of Orleans in Ionia County in a site with ground water just a few feet down, next to a major wetland, and just a mile from the sole source aquifer for Ionia, again over the excellent testimony of people throughout the community that this facility was in a very bad place both for air and water pollution potential.  The Liberty Dairy CAFO also received approval for IDRB loans, which was changed by the MSF to just allow its use for technology for pollution control after concerns were raised about the unrestricted loans to Hartford CAFO and the Mibelloon Dairy CAFO on the border of Gratiot and Midland Counties.  Liberty CAFO ultimately declined the loan. Now the den Dulks are proposing to run waste from a proposed CAFO in Muskegon County into a municipal waste system, which sounds like a fine idea until you learn that CAFO wastes are 25 to 100 times more concentrated than human sewage, and when you realize that the whole excuse for CAFOs in the first place is that they can return nutrients to the soil in place of fertilizers it seems a little incongruous.

Any industry that spends money to comply with environmental laws is doing its civic duty, but the suggestion that somehow this company warrants particular note, especially when it is not yet clear from the study whether they are violating the state’s water pollution laws, is inappropriate.

Anne

Anne Woiwode, State Director

Sierra Club Mackinac (Michigan) Chapter