E-M:/ RE: / DEQ Director Chester Defends CAFOs in Letter to the Editor

Enviro-Mich message from "Rita Jack" <rita.jack@sierraclub.org>

I have to disagree with Mr. McCann's post, since I personally went through
the file documents and read them all page by page, both at the Kalamazoo
District Office and at Constitution Hall.  From the files, I learned that
previous testing in waters around the CAFO in fact did show elevated levels
of E. coli.  I also read an MDEQ staff email that stated that part of the
reason the Hartford Dairy was chosen for the first permit-effectiveness
study was because the Sierra Club had contested the permit.  I also found a
draft report, never issued as far as I know, for the study that stated in
both its executive summary and again in its conclusions that the study found
no ambient water quality degradation, and that the permit was effective in
protecting water quality.  Since our state has a water quality standard
specifically for E. coli, and since 98% of the over 280 samples were over
that standard, then this clearly is an unsupported statement, and I have to
wonder on what scientific basis such a statement was made.  I look forward
to learning more about the status of this draft report.

I hope that the next study will include an immediate plan for next steps,
whichever way the test results come back.  When bacteria are found at
elevated levels in a study intended to test effectiveness of a permit
supposedly written to protect Michigan's water quality, the first next step,
after notifying local health departments, should have been to track back the
source of the contamination, and answer that question once and for all.
There are many methods now available for doing this, and there really is no
excuse for not having done that immediately.

For our waters,
-Rita

Rita Jack
Water Sentinels Project, Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter
tel:  517-484-2372

Make all Michigan's waters fishable and swimmable.