RE: E-M:/ Testing to identify E coli contamination

Enviro-Mich message from "harrisc" <Craig.Harris@ssc.msu.edu>

it seems to me that this is both a legal question and a microbiological
question . . .

legally, it seems to me that the state would have to make cooperation with
an investigation part of the cafo's permit . . . that obligation could
include details about whether the cafo or the state bear the financial
burden of the investigation . . . such a requirement might require a change
in state law . . . on this topic i defer to legal colleagues on the list . .
.

microbiologically, i wonder how much effort it would take to attribute a
certain percentage of the fecal burden in the stream to a particular cafo .
. . my guess (and here i'm practicing microbiology without a license) is
that one would have to serotype a lot of organisms from the stream, and
serotype a lot of organisms from the cafo, and see what degree of match
there was . . . my guess (again with caveats) is that the serotypes may vary
among the animals, so many animals will have to be sampled, either directly
or by taking samples from the manure holding facility . . . again, i defer
to microbiological colleagues on the list . . .

cheers,

craig

craig k harris
department of sociology
michigan agricultural experiment station
national food safety and toxicology center
institute for food and agricultural standards
michigan state university
http://www.msu.edu/~harrisc/