Re: E-M:/ Save the Detroit Zoo

We can add this to the list of amenities that SE Michigan doesn't have....
....no zoo...no decent public transportation....

I agree that loss of the Detroit Zoo would be a major blow to the
entire SE Michigan area....not just for Detroit.

Unfortunately,  I fear that the Kilpatrick Administration will close the
zoo unless it can be maintained as a place for significant employment by
Detroit citizens.   That objective can't politically be maintained if the
facility is "regionalized"

I fear also that the closing of the Detroit Zoo would be one more
chapter in the whole history of Detroit-suburb tensions.   Suburbanites
and their republican representatives somehow cannot countenance that
Detroiters own and run the regional drinking water and sewage treatment
system so they continue to hammer away on that issue....trying to
wrestle control of the system away from its owners.

More such tensions trash any move for regional public transportation
development....even such things as Metro airport to downtown public
light rail system and systems from Detroit to outlying areas on/near
Gratiot, Woodward, VanDyke, NW highway, Ford Road, etc.

How much money is the zoo loosing per year over revenues?

At 10:30 AM 02/22/2006, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from Meghan McDowell <mmcdowell@dlz.com>
>
>The City of Detroit has decided not to turn over ownership of the zoo to
>the Detroit Zoological Society. This means that the zoo will not be getting the much needed funds from the state. This lack of funding means that the City of Detroit will probably be closing its doors forever.
>
>We can't let that happen!! The Detroit Zoo is a beautiful and valuable
>amenity for the city and it would be devastating to lose it. Please sign
>the petition to urge the city to keep the zoo open!
>
>Save the zoo!
>http://www.petitiononline.com/detzoo/petition.html

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com