From: Cynthia Price [mailto:skyprice@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 10:26 PM
To: Bonnie Shupe
Subject: big favor

I'm wondering if you could please (pretty please) send the info below to
Enviro-Mich for me. I keep having my e-mails turn into gibberish on that
list (and only that list, at least so far). Since I don't know how to
fix it, I just don't post anything -- but I need to send this out now.
Thanks in advance, Cynthia p.s. talk to you soon about UGKC.

You are invited to attend the
GREATER GRAND RAPIDS FOOD SYSTEMS COUNCIL'S FOURTH ANNUAL ROOTED IN
COMMUNITY CONFERENCE, HEALTHY FOODS = HEALTHY PEOPLE = HEALTHY
COMMUNITIES MARCH 11, 8 A.M.- 5 P.M.
CALVIN COLLEGE, COMMONS ANNEX
(OFF OF E. BELTLINE, GRAND RAPIDS)
Partially underwritten by the Fulton Street Farmers' Market in Grand
Rapids The fundamental connection between good food and good health is
the focus of the Fourth Annual Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council
(GGRFSC) Rooted in Community Conference. Titled "Healthy Foods = Healthy
People = Healthy Communities," the conference is designed to address the
growing awareness of the relationship between healthy eating and the
avoidance of chronic diseases such as diabetes, some cancers, and
cardiovascular disease.
Health care professionals, parents, community activists, and people
interested in healthy local food are invited to attend.
The conference highlights two nationally-known speakers on food and
health:
* Dr. Robert Lawrence, a Harvard-educated M.D. from Johns Hopkins
University's Bloomberg School of Public Health -- the founding director
of their Center for a Livable Future, who has spoken across the country
about the connections between food, health, and sustainability. (For
more information on the Center for a Livable Future, visit
www.jhsph.edu/clf.) * Anne Bellows, Ph.D., on the health benefits of
urban agriculture and community gardening, and how to use that
information to advocate for increasing and enhancing community gardens.
To read a paper Bellows co-authored on the subject, visit
www.foodsecurity.org, click Publications and find "Health Benefits of
Urban Agriculture."
Morning and afternoon breakout sessions will cover such topics as how to
ensure healthy foods for schoolchildren, how soil health contributes to
a healthy community, herbology, addressing lead contamination in urban
areas, and specialized cooking and nutrition classes. A report by
Spectrum Health and GGRFSC on healthy foods in pantries will also be
released.
The conference also includes a locally-sourced lunch, morning and
afternoon refreshments, exhibits viewing, networking opportunities, and
a chance to purchase fresh foods from local farmers.
The cost of the conference, including lunch, is $25, with a reduced
price of $15 for students and people on fixed incomes ($20 for GGRFSC
members).
To register, return the form below by e-mail to Cynthia Price at
skyprice@gmail.com (you may pay at the door), or call  Tom Cary at
616-451-3051. A registration form can also be printed off and mailed by
visiting www.foodshed.net, which also has links to the informational
sites and papers above.
GGRFSC is a project of the West Michigan Environmental Action Council
(WMEAC) Name _____________________________________________
Affiliation, if any______________________________________
Street Address ____________________________________
City, State, Zip________________________________________
$25 regular______      $20 GGRFSC Member ______        $15
Student/Fixed Income ______  $35 (includes new or renewed GGRFSC
Membership PLUS Conference Registration) ______ Please check here if you
do NOT want to be on a networking list of
attendees: ______
Would you like to give a 3-minute update? Check here____
Would you like to have a display or exhibit? Yes ____   No ____
Do you want to sell something at the display? Yes ____   No ____