Re: E-M:/ Open Loop vs Closed Loop Geothermal Furnace

Enviro-Mich message from "Lowell Prag" <lprag@mail.msen.com>

Judith Lobato said:

> I have an open loop geothermal furnace (water is pumped out of my well,
> run through the furnace and put back into a manmade pond).  I am concerned
> that this may help to deplete my aquifer, the 3 Fires.  Does anyone have
> some hard science regarding aquifers and open loop geothermal furnaces or
> pumping water out of a well and discharging into a surface pond/stream?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Judy

If the outlet temperature of the water is hotter than your well water in
Winter, why not return the water to the well, rather than a pond? If all
your piping is made of hot water grade pex, you will get no contamination.

Regards,

Lowell Prag