E-M:/ Overview of concentrator photovoltaics

Enviro-Mich message from "Lowell Prag" <lprag@mail.msen.com>
discussion group on concentrator pv.

This form of pv through various methods, intensifies sunlight to increase
the output of a pv cell and my repost gives a link to an excellent
overview on current concentrator pv technology.

Some facts by way of introduction to concentrator pv:

On a sunny day in Michigan, the sunlight on one square foot
has the energy of about 100 watts.

With concentrators, that can easily be increased 10 fold,
upwards to over 100 fold.

At 10 fold, a pv cell rated at x watts output in 1 sun, would now have 10x
watts output when placed in the sunlight concentrated to the equivalent of
10 suns.

There were a couple of problems with this:

Standard pv cells do not work well at the high temperatures generated by
concentrators, and standard concentrators do not work well in diffuse
sunlight.

Those problems have been overcome:

New pv cells developed for outer space, can operate at high temperatures
and they are multijunction pv cells which can use the energy of all areas
of the sunlight spectrum, with a new record efficiency of 34%.

New concentrator designs with special fresnel lenses, now work in diffuse
sunlight which means that they will work not only in a desert but also in
Michigan.

In short:

regular flat plate pv panels without concentrator technology, will soon be
displaced by concentrator pv using the new multijunction cells, and with
the very high efficiency of those cells in conjunction with the
concentrators, will produce electricity at less cost than buying it from
DTE, etc.

That is the break through that can make pv a reality everywhere in the USA
and after reading the below link, you will have a better understanding of
that.

Also included below is a link to the best essay that I have ever read, on
the relationship of energy and economics and why the USA is currently at
the brink of catastrophe.

Regards,

Lowell Prag