Re: E-M:/ Open Loop vs Closed Loop Geothermal Furnace

Enviro-Mich message from "Jason Buck" <Jason.Buck@kentcounty.org>

Judith,

State ground water and plumbing codes would require the following on
geothermal injection wells:

1.  The return for the water involves installing a second 'return well'
at least 50' from the first. The well does not need to discharge into
the same aquifer the water was withdrawn from.  This well would need
permitting through our office.

2.   The return well needs to have a check valve allowing water only
down into the well through a drop pipe extending below the static water
level.

3.   The heat exchanger would require approved material meeting
National Sanitation Foundation listing for materials used.

4.   There can be no chemical additives used in the system.

Return wells can have problems with sliming up if they are not
installed to Part 127 standards and adequately chlorinated and kept
under pressure.

You should check with your local health department before taking any of
the actions listed above.

Jason Buck

Enviro-Mich message from "Lowell Prag" <lprag@mail.msen.com>

Judith Lobato said:

> I have an open loop geothermal furnace (water is pumped out of my
well,
> run through the furnace and put back into a manmade pond).  I am
concerned
> that this may help to deplete my aquifer, the 3 Fires.  Does anyone
have
> some hard science regarding aquifers and open loop geothermal
furnaces or
> pumping water out of a well and discharging into a surface
pond/stream?

> Thank you,
>
> Judy

If the outlet temperature of the water is hotter than your well water
in
Winter, why not return the water to the well, rather than a pond? If
all
your piping is made of hot water grade pex, you will get no
contamination.

Regards,

Lowell Prag

and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.   Archives
at

enviro-mich"