Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Wayne County Town Hall meeting tonight

Jack, should we assume the answers to your (rhetorical) questions about Wayne County's park millage money are "No"?

If that's the case, then I am truly amazed.  I thought the steps taken towards selling parkland by Ann Arbor's senior City administrators and Mayor - just after the citizens voted 2-1 to buy more parkland - were outrageous.  But Wayne County appears to be setting the standard for cynical abuse of the public's goodwill on parks issues.

Doug Cowherd
Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

Smileysmlc@aol.com wrote:
I just received this notice for a Town Hall meeting tonight:

"Town Hall meeting with Wayne County Executive Robert A. Ficano, will feature an overview of county programs and goals.  County department heads will also be present.  There will an opportunity for you to ask questions about county government.  Hope you can join us.   Light refreshments will be served.  For more details call 313 467-6945."
"Wayne County Executive... Town Hall meeting hosted in the 5th commission district, Southwest Detroit
On: Tuesday Feb 28, 2006
At:  Greater Apostolic Faith Temple
      4735 W Fort St, Detroit 48209
Time:  6:00 to 8:00 PM"

County residents might want to ask about the management of the Wayne County Parks millage money--which raises approximately $12 million per year.  The Parks millage initially passed 10 years ago under the guise that it would raise money for park land acquisition , for fixing up Fort Wayne, and for a variety of other park improvements.  In 10 years, has one single acre of park land been purchased?  Has a single dollar gone into the renovation of Fort Wayne?  Is there an audit available for public inspection which details where the money has been spent?  Why does Wayne County not have a Parks Commission to oversee operation of the Parks Department and expenditure of millage money?

Wayne County also created the first Wetland Mitigation Bank in the state.  How much money was lost on that project?  Why was the bank such a failure?  Since it was never certified by MDEQ, has it been officially "closed"?

I'm sure there are a host of other questions that people should ask.

Jack Smiley