RE: E-M:/ News Release: Governor Signs Landmark Water-Use Protections Into Law

This message responds specifically to Kramer, but I think there are many others who share his concerns about the water-use laws enacted today, so I’d like to take a moment to address them.

First, thank you for your obvious passion about this issue, and I am sorry that our response left you feeling personally attacked.  The battle to strengthen these bills has been extremely intense and left many frayed nerves, but it is important not to let reasoned discourse be a casualty of our deep feelings about our water, and we look forward to participating in future productive discussions in that spirit.

Regarding the substance of your concerns, PIRGIM was among the many groups that put a vast amount of resources into fighting for the strongest protections for our water that we could wrest from the legislative process.  Thanks to these collective efforts, Michigan has substantial new protections for our water that it did not have before, including (1) an explicit recognition that all Michigan’s water is a public resource, (2) a legislative approval requirement for non-bottled diversions, (3) a permitting process for new water bottlers that includes heightened protections against resource and property damage (with a public process for requiring improvements to repair measurable impacts), and (4) a requirement that all industries develop water conservation standards.  PIRGIM is proud to have helped win these new protections, which mark a substantial improvement over the bills as originally introduced.

It is no secret – and, given the substantial opposition from powerful special interests, no surprise – that we did not get everything we were fighting for in this package (and that we got one thing we were fighting against).  What is less well known is that we successfully fought off an attempt to explicitly define water as a product.  In any event, the most important thing now is that we pull together and keep fighting toward our common goal: more, better protections for our water.  I look forward to working with all of you to make that happen.

Kelly Dardzinski, Environmental Advocate

Public Interest Research Group In Michigan

119 Pere Marquette, Suite 3B
Lansing, MI 48912
(517) 664-2600

kelly@pirgim.org