Re: E-M:/ It's a great New Day in Brownstown Township for the Environment!!!!

Supporting elected officials when they do good, and alerting the public when they do bad - thats a fundamental role for environmental groups.  It's not complex, but it's hard to do well.

I'm really impressed by the good work of the activists in Brownstown.  It's a fine victory for the people of the township, and for the nature that's there to be protected.  And it points the way to something larger.

If we really want to fundamentally alter the balance of power in Lansing, one promising path is for state-level organizations to devote real resources to helping local activist groups in ballot initiatives designed to preserve nature. With Lansing now virtually locked up by foes of the environment, we desperately need a steady stream of local victories. That's how you grow the activist base - which in turn is how you grow the ability to support the good and pressure the bad among elected officials at the local, and eventually the state level.

Doug Cowherd
Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

Mary La France <mlafrance@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Thanks to every one of you for all your support, tireless phone calling, meetings etc. Brownstown Township will retain its environmentally friendly township officials, Treasurer Diane Philpot and Trustee Ed Neal. It was a very close election which means that the grass roots work really paid off!  Check out today's Detroit News for the story.

The developers' well funded campaign against the common citizen shows what people power can do.