Re: E-M:/ Open Loop vs Closed Loop Geothermal Furnace

Enviro-Mich message from "Jason Buck" <Jason.Buck@kentcounty.org>

Lowell,

Depending on the aquifer, there may be bacteria naturally occurring in
the groundwater. The bacteria are not harmful until you introduce flow
to the system. The bacteria colonies will produce a "slime" that can
clog water lines, well screens, or worse. The worse situation is a
bacteria slime that harbors E. coli bacteria. An E. coli contamination
is difficult to control with chlorination if the bacteria is hiding
behind slime and debris.

The chlorination system is similar to that of a swimming pool. The
chlorine can be fed at a small concentration via a pump that forces the
process water back into the injection well. Keeping the system under
pressure helps creates a static force on the well casing which seems to
prevent slime build-up and increases the effectiveness of chlorine
disinfection. Some helpful information can be found at
http://www.designwater.com/index.htm .

Jason

Kent County Health Department
Environmental Health Division
700 Fuller Avenue NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503

(616) 632-6906
jason.buck@kentcounty.org

>>> "Lowell Prag" <lprag@mail.msen.com> 02/28/06 9:16 AM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Lowell Prag" <lprag@mail.msen.com>

Hello Jason,

A couple of questions:

By pressurizing the return well, do you mean just capping it
and letting the waste water discharge create the pressure?

What's the purpose of pressurizing: to reduce the oxygen level,
to deter algae, etc? If so, I'm not sure how that would help,
as the aerated waste water itself is a constant source of oxygen.

Would the chlorine be added through a feed system using line pressure
suction downstream of the check valve or does it need a separate
piping
system directly to the return well and its own pump, or do you just
drop
chlorine tablets into the return well?

What materials within the heat exchanger, would cause contamination?

Regards,

Lowell Prag

Jason Buck said:

> Enviro-Mich message from "Jason Buck" <Jason.Buck@kentcounty.org>

> Judith,
>
> State ground water and plumbing codes would require the following on
> geothermal injection wells:
>
> 1.  The return for the water involves installing a second 'return
well'
> at least 50' from the first. The well does not need to discharge
into
> the same aquifer the water was withdrawn from.  This well would need
> permitting through our office.
>
> 2.   The return well needs to have a check valve allowing water only
> down into the well through a drop pipe extending below the static
water
> level.
>
> 3.   The heat exchanger would require approved material meeting
> National Sanitation Foundation listing for materials used.
>
> 4.   There can be no chemical additives used in the system.
>
> Return wells can have problems with sliming up if they are not
> installed to Part 127 standards and adequately chlorinated and kept
> under pressure.
>

> You should check with your local health department before taking any
of
> the actions listed above.
>

> Jason Buck

> Enviro-Mich message from "Lowell Prag" <lprag@mail.msen.com>

> Judith Lobato said:
>
>> I have an open loop geothermal furnace (water is pumped out of my
> well,
>> run through the furnace and put back into a manmade pond).  I am
> concerned
>> that this may help to deplete my aquifer, the 3 Fires.  Does anyone
> have
>> some hard science regarding aquifers and open loop geothermal
> furnaces or
>> pumping water out of a well and discharging into a surface
> pond/stream?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Judy
>
> If the outlet temperature of the water is hotter than your well
water
> in
> Winter, why not return the water to the well, rather than a pond? If
> all
> your piping is made of hot water grade pex, you will get no
> contamination.
>
> Regards,
>
> Lowell Prag

> and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.
Archives