From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net [mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of LuAnne Kozma
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 11:50 PM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: E-M:/ Action Alert: Stop Michigan state park sale bills

Enviro-Mich message from LuAnne Kozma <luanne_kozma@yahoo.com>

March 21, 2006

Action Alert from Defense of Place

Michigan State Parkland at Risk

ACT NOW:  TELL YOUR STATE SENATOR TO OPPOSE SENATE

BILLS 971 and 972 and the substitute S-5 for SB 971.

Please call your state senator before 10 a.m.

tomorrow, WEDNESDAY MARCH 22 and urge him or her to

vote “no” on Senate Bills 971 and 972 and the

Substitute 5 for 971. These bills will be voted on in

the Senate on March 22 at the session beginning at 10

a.m.

(Find your State Senator by going to

http://www.senate.michigan.gov/SenatorInfo/find-your-senator.htm)

You can also tell Governor Jennifer M. Granholm to not

support these bills:

Phone: (517) 373-3400; fax: (517) 335-6863

Senators’ original intentions were to try to create a

public process and legislative oversight for proposals

to sell off parks. Instead, these two bills were

seriously compromised in a substitute version now

being voted on for SB 971:

The Substitute S-5 for SB 971 would:

--continue to treat our state park system as tradable,

saleable lands, not protected parks

--spell out a process for how parkland can be sold by

the Department of Natural Resources or by the

Legislature, depending on the size of the parkland

parcel

  --allow sales of large amounts of state parkland

without any public or legislative oversight (up to 100

acres or 15% of any state park, whichever is less)

--make the sale of larger amounts of parkland quite

simple for the administration—and difficult for

citizens to stop such sales—by allowing parkland sales

to occur in 60 days if the Legislature does not act to

stop the sale.

--fail to provide permanent protection for any parks

or parkland in perpetuity, including wilderness and

designated natural areas.

--easily facilitate the transfer of state parkland to

other public entities

Michigan citizens deserve permanent protection for our

state parks that guarantees that future generations

will be able to enjoy the parks as we have, not

complicated laws that contain formulas for how to sell

them. The original language of SB 971 was stronger

protection, while still falling short of offering any

kind of permanent protection.

Please urge your state senator to vote “no” on SB 971

and 972 and the Substitute S-5 for 971.

For more information contact:

LuAnne Kozma   248-473-5761  LuAnne_Kozma@yahoo.com

Jason Kibbey  jkibbey@defenseofplace.org

Defense of Place

www.defenseofplace.org

Defense of Place is the organization in the United

States devoted solely to assuring that parks, open

space, and wildlife refuges stay protected forever.