E-M:/ Detroit Riverfront -- cement terminal removal

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 22, 2006

Contact:  Robert McCann
               (517) 241-7397

$2 Million DEQ Project is Catalyst for Detroit Riverfront Revitalization

Department of Environmental Quality Director Steven E. Chester announced today that the last of three cement silo structures along the Detroit River have been demolished, making way for a host of new riverfront projects in Detroit.

"This demolition project is a clear example of our Jobs Today Initiative in action," said Governor Jennifer M. Granholm.  "By turning this previously contaminated industrial site into a space for further economic development we are creating jobs for the community and strengthening Detroit's riverfront."

A two-ton wrecking ball demolished the 175-foot Cemex-Medusa cement silo structure last week, following the work the DEQ carried out earlier this year with the demolition of the nearby 125-foot LaFarge and the 175-foot Holnam Detroit River silos.

"We're proud to be a catalyst for Detroit's riverfront revitalization," said Director Chester.  "A shared spirit of environmental stewardship and hometown pride by all of the partners on this project has truly made it a success."

The DEQ dedicated more than one year and $2.7 million in cleanup monies to the silo project, and will be able to recycle nearly 90 percent of the concrete and steel structures from the sites.  The work to completely remove the materials from the site is expected to be completed in May, with work on redeveloping the sites beginning soon after.

"In just a few short months, the landscaping along the riverfront has changed dramatically, opening up all sorts of new possibilities for development," said Faye Alexander Nelson, President & CEO, Detroit Riverfront Conservancy.  "And now the work begins to transform this wide open space into residences, retail, and green spaces that reconnect people to the riverfront."

The demolitions are part of the ongoing transformation of the riverfront, and were made possible in large part to another cleanup and redevelopment effort downriver at the former Detroit Coke site.  The Detroit Coke site provided the LaFarge Corporation with a place to relocate its silo operation and construct a new 185-foot cement silo the largest in North America.

"We are experiencing significant transformation on our riverfront," said Mayor Kwame M. Kilpatrick.  "The demolition of the cement silos puts us one step closer to opening our riverfront to the people of Detroit and our surrounding communities."

The $2.7 million silo demolition project follows a previous commitment by DEQ to Detroit's riverfront transformation in which the DEQ provided a $6.2 million grant that assisted in the restoration of 3,500 feet of Detroit River walkway between the Renaissance Center and Riverfront Apartments.  The grant facilitated a project connecting Cobo Hall, Hart Plaza, Ford Auditorium, and Veterans Memorial to the riverfront.

For more information on the Detroit Riverfront project, please visit the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy's Web page at: http://www.detroitriverfront.org.

#####

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com