http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2MTUmZmdiZWw3
Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY5MDEwNTgmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3

Meat's fresh look can't be trusted
Wednesday, March 22, 2006

By SYLVIA CARTER
NEWSDAY

Thursday I bought a pre-wrapped, juicy-looking rib-eye steak in a deep
Styrofoam container.
I did not put the meat in the refrigerator or the freezer. I just put it on
the kitchen counter.
Four days later, it was still a healthy, rosy-red color. It was not slimy
and looked perfectly safe to eat.
How was this possible?
SNIP
It was possible because of "modified atmosphere packaging," in which, on the
meat-packing line, a tiny and harmless amount of carbon monoxide is sealed
inside the package along with other gases and the meat.
SNIP
The consumer groups, supported by two Michigan congressmen, contend that the
bright red color could hide spoilage in meat that has not been kept at
proper temperature when it was trucked to supermarkets.
CLICK FOR MORE
http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2MTUmZmdiZWw3
Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY5MDEwNTgmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3
~Rita

Rita Jack
Water Sentinels Project
Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter
109 E. Grand River Ave.
Lansing, Michigan  48906
tel:  517-484-2372
www.michigan.sierraclub.org
www.sierraclub.org/watersentinels

Make all Michigan's waters fishable and swimmable.