Re: E-M:/ state park bills

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Enviro-Mich message from Christopher Graham ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Mr. Gear --

As a member of the State Park Citizen's Advisory Committee, I can assure you that your suggestion was not only heard by staff and members of the Committee, but that we already were working on that idea and many other related ideas.

I personally think the odds of designing and implementing a variable rate fee schedule are good.  The details of doing that are complicated, we are making progress at seeing how such an approach could best work.  You continue to have other good ideas, here mentioned, and we will put them in the hopper.

We are slowly but surely parting with old thinking in every possible way.  The process of actually working through ideas and concerns, then changing policy, takes time.  I join you in some impatience -- but governing just takes lots of time.

I suspect you and our audience are not completely aware of current circumstances.

It takes (with a lean operation) somewhere between $40M-$50M/per year to operate the State Parks and Recreation system, the current system in current dollars.

After implementing reasonable fee increases and many coming changes to every other item of income and expenditure in its budget, it is hoped that we can adequately pay for the system's entire operations out of income, on an ongoing basis.

We likely cannot do that if something happens to the source of money to the Parks system from royalties on gas and oil wells on public land in the State ($10M/year).  And in any case, we cannot cover major maintenance work, capital improvements and replacements, which reasonably totals an additional $90M over the next five years alone, from this income flow.

If I may, I will repeat this last statement:  We cannot cover major maintenance work, capital improvements and replacements, which reasonably totals an additional $90M over the next five years alone, from this income flow.

The Park system has never been able to do that, and was never expected to do that.  Since the precipitous ending of ALL General Fund support from the State a couple of years ago, there is NO direct flow of General Fund dollars to operations.  There is no regular and secure source for major maintenance and capital funds and there never has been -- though such a source has always been much needed.

Short of raising fees gigantically, there is no reasonable expectation maintenance and capital funds can come out of the regular Park system income stream, no matter how adroit we are at redesigning it.

As you may surmise from your own concerns here about lower income accessibility, we received very few kudos for raising fees this past year, and received MANY objections.  To think we can raise fees vastly more to cover all costs (operations and capital) out of income would not be realistic.

Similarly, to think that the people of Michigan would let us dramatically cut the size of our Park system to gain more balanced numbers is also completely out of the question.  We may be able to make some changes, such as transferring some parks to local government to operate.  But a process to make those decisions is still to be designed, final passage of the bills discussed below will make doing something slower and tougher.

From its very inception, the development of the State Parks and Recreation Areas in Michigan has been predicated on the assumption that acquiring them, developing them, and maintaining them in good condition is a core service of State government.  It was never thought there would be a private way to do this, or that any private way would economically work.  It was never thought that the elements of system should be available only to those who could directly afford the costs (all of them).  Though the record on this is quite far from perfect, there has generally been good support from the people of the State of Michigan via its General Fund and intermittent bond issues for its Park system, for better or for worse, through much of the last three quarters of a century.

The great majority of the people of Michigan do think Parks are a core service.  They do not yet know there is now zero General Fund support.

Were we to have assumed our Park system should pay for itself, from the beginning, we would never have the Park system we have today.  It has been one of the great systems in the United States.  It has been highly important to tourism in Michigan -- netting economic benefit to the people far more than its costs.  There would be huge opposition to dismantling much of it, now, to make it conform to its income flow.

Lost in a self-supporting assumption would be the long standing goal of protecting the great natural resource treasures of Michigan, as public assets for the people of Michigan.  Lost would be the whole point having parks:  broad public ownership and access to the places of great scenic beauty, recreational opportunity, and high biological and other natural resource value.  I think there are few among us who would now willingly forsake the original assumptions.

I salute your for your suggestions.  They are being worked on.  We are going about it at the normal (slow) pace of governing, which includes all due process.  We will want and we will hope for your support when we settle on a way to suggest to the people of Michigan how to solve the overall, long term funding issue in support of our Park system.

Comments here beyond the facts are, of course, my own opinion.  They do not necessarily represent the opinion of the MDNR, or other members of the Committee.

Chris.