E-M:/ Join us for Fun and Activism in Oakland County

Enviro-Mich message from "Lynna Kaucheck, Clean Water Action" <lkaucheck@cleanwater.org>

April is National Volunteer Month!!! Kick off the month by joining Clean Water Action for a campaign update and movie viewing, and get motivated to continue the fight to protect Michigan's water from diversions out the of the Great Lakes basin.

On Thursday, April 6, please join us at the Royal Oak Public Library (222 E. Eleven Mile Rd.) from 6:30 - 8:00pm for a debrief on the Great Lakes, Great Michigan campaign and a viewing of /Thirst/, a new documentary film by Alan Snitow and Deborah Kaufman. Light refreshments will be provided.

As you may already know, Governor Granholm signed a package of water use bills into law on February 28th. While these bills were a good first step, there were some dangerous special interest loopholes created by the legislation, namely, exempting water in containers of less than 5.7 gallons from being treated as a diversion from the Great Lakes. This loophole sets an unfortunate precedent for privatizing our waters and must be closed. Join us Thursday April 6th at the Royal Oak Public Library for a conversation about the steps we can take, and a viewing of /Thirst/.

"/Thirst// /is a compelling documentary that examines water conflicts on three continents. /Thirst /shows that popular opposition to the privatization of water sparks remarkable coalitions that cross partisan lines. When it comes to water many people demand local control and fear the arrival of multinational corporations with large lobbying budgets and little local loyalty." (www.pbs.org).

RSVP is appreciated, but not required. Please contact me at anytime at (734) 222-6347 or at lkaucheck@cleanwater.org with questions. I'm looking forward to seeing you on the 6th!

Sincerely,
Lynna Kaucheck

--
Lynna Kaucheck

Southeast Michigan Community Organizer
Clean Water Action Clean Water Fund
205 1/2 N. Main St. Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Tel. 734.222.6347
Fax. 734.222.6473

"When the well's dry, we know the worth of water."
-Ben Franklin