E-M:/ FW: EPA Region 5 RA resigns

Enviro-Mich message from "Rita Jack" <rita.jack@sierraclub.org>

My apologies for duplicative posting...  RJ.

-----Original Message-----
From: Maggie Fields [mailto:FIELDSM@michigan.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 3:08 PM
To: Maggie Fields
Subject: EPA Region 5 RA resigns

 FYI - forwarded by EPA staff

To:   All Region 5 EPA

From:  Tom Skinner

Date: April 4, 2006

Re:   My Resignation

FYI, this morning I submitted my letter of resignation, effective April
15, 2006, to Administrator Johnson.  I have copied below the text of the
letter.

This was a difficult decision, and this is a difficult day.  In a
perfect world, I would stay.  However, with three daughters approaching
(more rapidly than I might like) college age, the time has come for me
to leave public service and re-enter the private sector.  I will be
joining the law firm of Mayer, Brown Rowe & Maw as a partner later this
month.

I will send a more formal good-bye before I go, but I wanted you to be
the first to know of my plans.

I am very grateful for the opportunity to have served with you, and for
your support.  Thank you.

Tom

___

                                    April 4, 2006

The Honorable Stephen L. Johnson
Administrator
United States Environmental Protection Agency
1300 Pennsylvania Avenue N.W.
Washington, D.C.

Dear Administrator Johnson,

It has been my privilege for the past five years to serve the President,
the American people, and this great Agency as Regional Administrator for
Region 5, Manager of the Great Lakes National Program, and Acting
Assistant Administrator of the Office of Enforcement and Compliance
Assurance.

I am proud of this Agency's efforts under your leadership, and that of
former Administrators Whitman and Leavitt, and I would like nothing more
than to continue to contribute to those efforts.  However, the time has
come for me to leave public service and return to the private sector.  I
therefore write to you today to tender my resignation, effective April
15, 2006.

I have been fortunate to hold positions that are among the most
challenging and rewarding in federal service.  While with OECA, we
secured commitments to reduce air, water and land pollution in the
coming years by well over one billion pounds. We focused on addressing
the most significant environmental problems in ways that produced the
most effective real world improvements.  And we increased collaboration
with the states, working in partnership to apply national standards
through local solutions.

In my time as Regional Administrator, Region 5 continued to serve as the
backbone of EPA's efforts to enforce this nation's environmental laws
and regulations.  At the same time, we emphasized the importance of
voluntary efforts to protect the environment, through our leadership in
initiatives such as the President's Great Lakes Regional Collaboration
and the Great Lakes Legacy Act program, the tremendous cooperative
efforts to safeguard and restore one of this nation's - and the world's
- greatest freshwater treasures; the Region 5 Great Cities program,
designed to promote innovative environmental efforts by our major
cities; and our collaborative efforts to reduce air pollution from
diesel-powered engines used in school buses and other large vehicles.

It has been an honor to work with you and the dedicated staff of this
Agency, and to serve this Administration.  I am deeply grateful for the
opportunity, for your confidence, and for your friendship.

                        Sincerely,

                        Thomas V. Skinner