E-M:/ RE: / Organic Shopping - Local Royal Oak Market

Enviro-Mich message from "Anne Woiwode" <Anne.Woiwode@sierraclub.org>

Craig et al:

Thanks for raising the importance of being able to find locally grown,
organic foods. Another important thing for consumers to do is to request
that the places you buy food carry what you want to buy -- locally produced,
organic foods.  If they won't respond, buy from people who will! Here are
some sources for local and organic foods growers and sellers Michigan:

The Michigan Organic Food and Farm Alliance (MOFFA) has information on
farmers' markets (http://www.moffa.org/brochures/2005market.pdf ) and other
businesses that sell organic products
(http://www.moffa.org/brochures/2005business.pdf )

The Michigan Food and Farming System lists farmer markets and other
resources at: http://www.miffs.org/index.asp

In the northwestern lower peninsula, the Michigan Land Use Institute offers:
http://localdifference.org/

The Select Michigan Program provides a way to sort for local sources of both
U-Pick (obviously local, but not necessarily organic) and Farmers markets
(not necessarily local or organic)
http://www.mda.state.mi.us/market/u-pick/index.asp#U-PICK%20FARMS

Also, food cooperatives often carry local and organic foods -- the East
Lansing Food Coop, for example, is a great place to find local vegetables,
fruits, dairy products, eggs and meat.  A list of Michigan food coops is at:
http://www.vegetarianusa.com/city/Michigan.html

Anne Woiwode, State Director
Sierra Club Mackinac (Michigan) Chapter