Re: E-M:/ Letter to the Editor, Christian Science Monitor

At 08:29 PM 04/07/2006, William Tobler wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from William Tobler <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>
>
>The "waste" heat is a big percentage of the total.
>It's been a long time since I studied powerplants, but I expect
>the thermal efficiency to be something on the order of 40%, which means
>60% is waste heat that could be used for lower level industrial processes
>and lastly for space heating.
>
>Instead, we use the "high quality" energy (electricity) and turn it into
>low quality energy (space heating).

Bill, here are two Michigan entities that "get it" when it comes to
combined heat and power that uses the "waste" heat from electricity generation:

MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY

http://www.chems.msu.edu/classes/321/powerplant/

http://environmental.jrn.msu.edu/football/powerfootballfull.html

AND

THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN

http://www.p2000.umich.edu/energy_conservation/ec4.htm

http://www.umich.edu/~urecord/9697/May20_97/artcl11.htm

http://www.plant.bf.umich.edu/utilities/CentralPowerPlant/

http://www.umich.edu/~urecord/0506/Dec12_05/12.shtml

I think Wayne State University participates in district heating
provided by DTE Energy.

I think CMU is using biomass-fired co-generation, but I couldn't
find any web resources on their facility.

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com