Re: E-M:/ Conservation leaders form political action committee

At 12:44 PM 04/10/2006, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from Larry Nooden <ldnum@umich.edu>
>
>Yes, this PAC is probably a wolf in sheep's clothing.

I'd recommend reserving such harsh language in lieu of further
assessment and evaluation.

I'd prefer to think Bobier's comments reflect a more traditional
set of disagreements between environmental and conservation
movements about what the best use of Michigan's forests are, the goals
of sustainable forestry and objectives of environmental
restoration of Michigan's forests.

A whole lot of the natural resource/conservation establishment has
for years been devoted to growing wild deer with habitat management
choices.....featuring short forest rotations, creating pulpwood forestry....

Of course growing a lot of wild deer means a lot of  deer-car accidents
and a lot of carping from the ag boys about deer predation on their
taxpayer-subsidized, diabetes-inducing fixation with growing corn.

A deer-growing/pulpwood production policy of forest and wildlands management
means we miss out of environmental restoration of Michigan's forests and the
potential that a fully mature stand of old woods can bring with its unique features
of wildlife habitat.

I've not studied the issue yet but I'd also be curious about whether greater atmospheric
carbon sequestration can be achieved with protecting and enhancing old growth.

I'd sure like to see Michigan preserve some of the mature hardwood forests we have
in the Western Upper Peninsula, rather than taking it all to pulpwood.

Environmentalists don't generally oppose timber cutting, pe se....    If we grew a more
mature forest by using selective cutting and forest improvement thinning rather than
deer-growing, sediment-releasing clear-cuts, we'd end up producing a much greater
diversity of forests than our forest policies presently allow.

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com