Re: E-M:/ Parkland Sell-Off Assailed

LuAnne:

I'd suggest posting links to maps showing the public land natural areas proposed for
privatizing and development by the Granholm Administration...particularly those in SE Michigan where
open space is at a real premium.    And I thought we were finally rid of the ghosts of
Russell Harding......

Better yet, take advantage of
http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com   note you can see topo maps at this site also.

the area in question

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=11&Z=17&X=744&Y=11796&W=1&qs=Wise+Road%7cCommerce+Township%7cMI&Addr=E+Wise+Rd%2c+Commerce+TWP%2c+MI+48382&ALon=-83.4814271&ALat=42.5984965

and/or  googlemaps at

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&sll=36.879621,-95.625&sspn=44.548948,79.101563&q=Carroll+Lake+Road+and+Commerce+Road&t=k&ll=42.598556,-83.465924&spn=0.008056,0.015535

....to see these areas of proposed public land natural area privatization for development.

I suppose that MDNR Parks Division might take the Pontius Pilate approach of
feeling better saying they will sell off natural lands ....
.....maintaining "clean hands" by selling natural areas to local or county government or
school districts.   But if natural areas are just turned over and sold off to developers
by these units of government it is really a distinction without a difference.....unless, of
course, they stipulate that there be no conversion to development in a restricted land
covenant.  I presume they aren't doing that in this case.

I'd also urge an analysis of any such land sales by a subwatershed protection
evaluation approach....When making a decision on land sales is MDNR maintaining the
integrity of entire subwatersheds involved with lands that the state will maintain in
public ownership?

In the case of the Proud Lake recreation area, why would a public agency want to
sell off 540 acres that is directly contiguous to the rest of the area?    This isn't like
the situation where there are remote parcels that are hard to manage.  The tract in
question looks like upland overlooking a stream value as near as I can tell from the maps.

I don't think anyone would argue with MDNR selling off isolated parcels of
tax-reverted land, but I can see why selling off open space at Proud Lake Recreation
Area has become controversial.

Here is the Detroit news article link...
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060409/METRO/604090361&SearchID=73241018058641