E-M:/ Celebrate Earth Day with Sierra Club!

CELEBRATE EARTH DAY WITH SIERRA CLUB

Saturday, April 22

Kensington Metro Park (no entrance fee)

DIRECTIONS:  All events will be located at the East Boat Launch.

Take I-96 to Exit 153 and follow the Sierra Club signs from there.  NOTE:  I-696 is closed during the weekend.

We have a number of events to celebrate the great day including the EnviRUNment, Scavenger Hunt, and Park Cleanup.

EnviRUNment

9am – Registration Begins

10am – 2 Mile Walk Begins

10:15am – 4 Mile Run Begins

11:30 – Children’s Relay Race (12 and under)

Awards and Picnic to Immediately Follow for EnviRUNment participants

Enjoy an invigorating morning of running, walking, playing, and socializing with friends, families, and community members at the 2nd Annual EnviRUNment! All proceeds go towards environmental education in Oakland County.

The run will begin at the East Boat Launch of Kensington Metro Park and will follow the bike path to the West Boat Launch where runners will turn back and end at the East Boat Launch.  The walk will follow the bike path in the opposite direction to a one mile marker and then follow path to return.

Register for the EnviRUNment at www.sierraclub.org/community/oakland/run

This event has been reviewed for the physical activity content and as been endorsed by the Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness, Health, and Sports.  This does not reflect endorsement of the sponsoring organization or the products used.  This means you are eligible to sign up to be in this year’s Governor’s Labor Day Run over the Mackinac Bridge

THANK YOU ENVIRUNMENT SPONSORS:

MOOSEJAW, WHOLE FOODS, TOTAL RUNNER, RUNNIN’ GEAR, FORD MERCURY, PANERA BREAD, AND HUNTINGTON BANK !!!!!

Scavenger Hunt

11am – Scavenger Hunt Items Due

Show how green you are by taking the Earth Day Challenge.  Find the Scavenger Hunt items at the following website, http://www.sierraclub.org/community/oakland/images/EarthDayChallenge.pdf for points that can win you cool prizes at Sierra Club’s Earth Day Celebration.  Make sure to bring all the items to the Sierra Club Earth Day Celebration/EnviRUNment by 11am on Saturday, April 22.  GOOD LUCK!!!

Park Cleanup

12:30pm to 2pm – Park Cleanup

Help keep Kensington Metro Park beautiful!  At 12:30pm we will cleanup the park.  Gloves and garbage bags will be provided.

Melissa Damaschke

Sierra Club Conservation Organizer

100 North Crooks Road, Suite 105

Clawson, MI 48017