E-M:/ Schwarzenager, Feinstein and Boxer -- Mike Roger's "safe for agricorp" bill is wrong

Schwarzenager, Feinstein and Boxer opposed the "safe for agri/food corporation"
bill to absolish state labeling laws for food safety introduced
by Michigan's very own MIKE ROGERS, which already
passed the US House.

Tell Senators Carl Levin and Debbie Stabenow to hand Mike Rogers' a defeat on
attempts to mess with your food safety....

=-==============================

At long last, the CA governor finally decided to oppose the food safety bill.  See articles and letter from the guv, where he mentions the mercury fish labeling, below.

Michael

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

    * Schwarzenegger Joins Feinstein and Boxer in Opposing Legislation Aimed at Weakening California

Washington, DC ? U.S. Senators Dianne Feinsstein (D-Calif.) and Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) today released a letter from California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger announcing his opposition to legislation aimed at rolling back stringent food safety laws approved by state and local governments, such as Californiaâ??s Proposition 65. Senators Feinstein and Boxer have vowed to oppose the legislation when it comes before the Senate.

â??Iâ??m pleased that the Governor has joined us in this fight,â?? Senator Feinstein said. â??Consumers deserve to know if their food contains chemicals that cause cancer or birth defects. Since 1986, Californiaâ??s Prop. 65 has been a shield for consumers. The legislation passed by the House would do away not only with Prop. 65, but with more than 200 food safety laws and regulations on the books in all 50 states. Overriding these stringent consumer protections gambles with the health of hundreds of thousands of Americans. I will do everything in my power to stop this legislation from passing the Senate.â??

Boxer said, â??This legislation poses a threat to the health and safety of every American. For a state like California, which has been a national leader in ensuring food safety through measures like Prop 65, this legislation is particularly harmful. I will be working hard with Senator Feinstein to ensure that it is defeated.â??

The National Uniformity for Foods Act, which passed the House of Representatives in March, would roll back essential food safety laws and would preempt state and local authorities by prohibiting states and localities from enacting food safety regulations stronger than those required by the federal government. It would also prevent state and local governments from filling gaps in food safety laws whenever the federal government has no warning standard for a food product.

----------
Following is the text of the letter Governor Schwarzenegger sent to Senator Feinstein:

April 18, 2006
The Honorable Dianne Feinstein
United States Senate
Washington, DC 20510

Dear Senator Feinstein,

Thank you for your letter regarding HR 4167, the â??National Uniformity for Food Act of 2005.â??

California has a long and proud tradition of setting landmark health and environmental standards that become the basis of similar actions in other states and at the federal level. I am a strong believer in the rights of individual states to enact laws that protect its citizens and the environment, and the federal government should not interfere in a stateâ??s ability to do so.

I share your deep concern regarding the potential consequences this legislation could have on our consumers and public health. As you well know, the history of Proposition 65 (â??Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986â??) is rooted in the power of the people to enact legislation. In fact, California voters by a sixty-three percent majority passed Proposition 65 in 1986. The citizens of our great State fought hard to provide warning labels on products that knowingly expose individuals to any substance that may cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. As drafted, HR 4167 would expressly preempt state authority to issue warnings related to public health and safety as currently provided under Proposition 65.

For example, as a result of Proposition 65 Mexican candy manufacturers were forced to reduce harmful levels of lead in the products they sell in California; several major vendors of bottled water were forced to remove cancer-causing arsenic from their products. Major California supermarket chains now post warnings in their fresh and frozen fish sections that contain Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and California Department of Health Services recommendations for safe consumption of fish that contain mercury. These same FDA recommendations are not posted in retail outlets in other states, but rather on the FDA website. I am very concerned that HR 4167 would remove our ability to require these signs in California and undermine our ability to protect our citizens and promote consumer awareness.

As you know, the FDA has limited activity concerning food contaminants that cause cancer or reproductive effects. FDAâ??s food labeling requirements focus on nutritional content and its advisories focus on short-term health issues. This is very important but fails to consider longer-term concerns over carcinogens and reproductive toxicants, which are specifically provided for under Proposition 65. As such, our California laws fill a gap in important federal FDA programs.

I oppose Congressional preemption of Proposition 65 and I look forward to working with you and our Congressional Delegation to continue Californiaâ??s legitimate and rightful role of upholding strong public health and food safety standards.

Sincerely,

Arnold Schwarzenegger
Governor of the State of California

<http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=8309>http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=8309
SF Chronicle

<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/04/19/BAGIPIBA8E1.DTL>Governor opposes House bill
-
Wednesday, April 19, 2006

More than a month after the House of Representatives voted to wipe out state food-safety laws, including California's landmark Proposition 65, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has announced his opposition to the federal legislation.

Schwarzenegger's support for Prop. 65, passed by the voters in 1986 to force labels for food and other products to include warnings about cancer-causing ingredients, came as California's Democratic Sens. Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein scheduled a news conference today to champion their efforts to stop the House-backed bill in the Senate.

The Republican-dominated House approved March 8 a bill that would block a state from imposing food-labeling rules, such as Prop. 65, that are tougher than those set by the federal government unless it gained special approval from the Food and Drug Administration. Consumer advocates and state regulators, led by 39 state attorneys general including California Attorney General Bill Lockyer, urged the House to defeat the bill, which they said would override more than 200 state laws across the nation.

California's Republican governor had declined to take a position on the bill until Tuesday, when he announced his opposition in a letter to Feinstein that said, in part, "the federal government should not interfere in state authority to protect consumers and the environment."

Prop. 65, a major target of the bill approved 283-169 by the House, requires among other rules that food labels note substances that may cause cancer or birth defects. The law, backed by two-thirds of the state's voters in 1986, spurred other states to impose food-labeling laws that are stricter than federal standards.

<http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/04/19/BAGIPIBA8E1.DTL>http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/04/19/BAGIPIBA8E1.DTL

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com