E-M:/ Sustainability Mission

To: Detroit River/Western Lake Erie Stakeholders
From: John Hartig
Subject: Sustainability Mission

The Comprehensive Conservation Plan (CCP) for the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge articulates the following vision:

"The Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge, including the Detroit River and Western Lake Erie Basin, will be a conservation region where a clean environment fosters the health and diversity of wildlife, fish, and plant resources through protection, creation of new habitats, management, and restoration of natural communities and habitats on public and private lands.  Through effective management and partnering, the refuge will provide outstanding opportunities for quality of life benefits such as hunting, fishing, wildlife observation and environmental education, as well as ecological. economic, and cultural benefits, for present and future generations."

Our CCP goes on to call for providing "an institutional framework to develop effective private or public partnerships for the purpose of sustainability."

Clearly, sustainability is a priority for our refuge.  Wayne County, in partnership with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and many other organizations, has championed the development of a visitor center focussed on sustainability.  In fact, our visitor center will be a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Certified facility.  Everything that visitors will see and do will teach sustainability.

For those of you who missed it, see Detroit Free Press Op/Ed piece on sustainability and our region.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060326/OPINION04/603260318/1072/OPINION