E-M:/ A post-petroleum necessity that should start tomorrow

Enviro-Mich message from jmgear <jmgear@acd.net>

A local walkable/bikable communities advocate and I were talking about the implications of Peak Oil on community health--I sent this:
There's definitely a tie between post-peak health and walking/biking; the general improvement in public health due to getting out of cars is probably the one most obvious benefit of the end of cheap oil.

Have you considered working with the school districts to replace yellow buses with "walking buses" -- where an adult or older child of suitable age starts at a certain spot every school day and walks to the school with a string, which each child who "gets on" the bus holds as they all walk to school together. When I'm king, teachers will all go to school this way, so that the lessons can include looking at the world with real eyes, not just through books and video.

And then I realized that there's no reason to wait--parents who currently drive their kids to schools (and it's just freaking amazing how many do . . . I live near an elementary school and every morning there's an astonishing number of cars dropping off the kids) could do the world and their kids a big favor by coordinating with other parents to replace all those chauffered rides with the far more enjoyable and healthy walks to school (with a parent or older kid if there are security issues).

Want more money in your kids' classrooms? Tell your school district to stop spending it on yellow buses that sit empty 20 hours a day and pollute the other four.