E-M:/ Standing Up for State Parks

Enviro-Mich message from Andrew Mutch <andrewimutch@yahoo.com>

Check out the great rebuttal by Dave Dempsey and
LuAnne Kozma to the Detroit News's misguided editorial
that advocated selling off portions of our state park
system.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060425/OPINION01/604250314/1008

For those who missed it, the News voiced its support
for Russ Harding's State Park Sell-Off proposal that
would see 14 of our state parks sold off to developers
and private interests. Dempsey and Kozma make the
point that not only should we not be selling off any
of our parks, the State should be putting into place
real safeguards to protect our parks and parkland
against threats both in the short and long-term.
Legislation currently being considered by the House,
unfortunately, leaves state-owned parkland outside the
current state park boundaries at risk of being sold
off to private developers and allows the DNR to sell
off portions of existing state parks with very litte
public input.

The editorial also created a storm of negative letters
from Michigan residents who want to see their state
parks protected, not sold off.

Trimming state parks shows wrong priorities

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060425/OPINION01/604250306/1008

The original editorial is here:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060415/OPINION01/604150319/1008

Andrew Mutch