Re: E-M:/ Conservation leaders form political action committee

Enviro-Mich message from Roger Kuhlman <rokuhlman@yahoo.com>

The Jackpine forests are fire-designed and
fire-adapted ecosystems. They did not come into
existence by clearcutting. If you think about it,
clearcutting can not never have the same impact on
nutrient recyclying, bacterial, micro-organism  and
insect populations in the soil microhabitats of these
forests among many other things. To say we have a good
handle on knowing fully how Jackpine ecosystems work
and that we can manipulate them to our own ends
without negative impacts is a faulty, unexamined
assumption. Such high level knowledge does not exist
today. Heck we don't even have a full biological
inventory of all the species found in Jackpine forest
ecosystems and their many inter-relationships and
dependencies.

Clearcutting is an artificial and selective
manipulation of the environment. Maybe it is good for
the Kirtland's Warbler and a few other animals in the
short run in the few selected places where it is
implemented. But what about the vast numbers of areas
where this management does not occur and fire is
suppressed. What about when the money runs out for
this type of management? How do we know what the
long-term impacts of fire suppression are on a
fire-adapted ecosystems. We don't.

Who says people should be able to live any place in
the world if they are not willing to take the risks of
living there. If you live in a dangerous enviroment
like a fire-prone Jackpine Forest, a river floodplain,
or hurricane alley, the government should not be there
to protect and subsidize your risky behaviors.

Remember that humans especially rich and privileged
humans are not the only species on the earth. We must
learn to have a sense of balance when it comes to
other fellow forms of biological life on our planet.
Coming down 99% of the time in favor of one species on
earth people in conflicts with other species is not
exactly fair. Also it is yet to proven that one
species can so dominate all the world's biosphere to
extent that people do today in terms of the earth's
net primary productivity (direct and indirect
consumption of 40%+ of earth's NPP) for the long run
without major ill effects to our own specie's
survival.

Roger Kuhlman
Ann Arbor, Michigan