E-M:/ FW: Toxicity of "Roundup"

Enviro-Mich message from "" <delavan@earthlink.net>

delavan@earthlink.net

> Date: 4/17/2006 1:09:04 PM
> Subject: Toxicity of "Roundup"
>
> I felt I needed to forward this along as people take aim at weeds this
spring with "Roundup", etc....
> "According to a recent study , the world's most commonly used herbicide.
Monsanto's Roundup , kills full-grown frogs and is deadly to tadpolls at
lower concentrations than previously thought.  The study found that even
when applied at one-third the maximum concentrations expected in nature,
"Roundup" still killed up to 71% of tadpoles in outdoor tanks.  After
exposure to the maximum concentrations, nearly all the tadpoles from three
different species died. Results were published in the 8/05 issue of the
scientific journal "Ecological Applications". The researchers also
discovered that Roundup Weed and Grass Killer killed more than
three-quarters of tested frogs after only one day.  "The most striking
result from the experiments was that a chemical designed to kill plants
killed 98 percent of all tadpoles within three weeks and 79 percent of all
frogs with one day," says Rick Relyea, a biologist at the University of
Pittsburgh and lead author of the study.
> According to another study published recently in "Environmental Health
Perspectives, "Roundup" may also cause reproductive damage in humans.
Other studies point to increased risks of contracting non-Hodgkin's
lymphoma and other cancers".