E-M:/ Arctic/Gas Prices: Senators Propose Bribing Americans

Enviro-Mich message from "Anne Woiwode" <Anne.Woiwode@sierraclub.org>

Everyone's talking about it, here in Michigan as well: gas prices

For Immediate Release
April 27, 2006

Contact:
David Willett, 202-675-6698

   Senators Propose Bribing Americans to Open Priceless Arctic National
                              Wildlife Refuge
         Statement of Carl Pope, Executive Director of Sierra Club

"In a Congress that brings a new definition to the word cynical, the latest
ploy to bribe the American people into drilling in the pristine Arctic
National Wildlife Refuge is to offer an insulting $100 tax rebate. In this
same week that the oil industry is announcing another quarter of
record-breaking profits, a handful of Senators proposed a measure that
would hardly make a scratch in the cost of gas for Americans, and instead
would further our oil dependence, do nothing to lower gas prices while
destroying a pristine national treasure--and will only benefit the bloated
oil industry.

"Attaching the measure to drill the priceless Arctic National Wildlife
Refuge to emergency spending for the Iraq war and Katrina relief is an
abuse of power, and a great to disservice to our troops that would spoil
forever a national treasure--linking the measure to a $100 tax rebate only
adds insult to injury for all Americans. Congress should stand strong and
reject this exploitation of our troops, hurricane victims and our natural
heritage.

"It is a cynical, politically-motivated scheme to bribe Americans for a
special-interest agenda that has otherwise failed to pass muster in this
Congress. It would be a national disgrace to consider forever spoiling this
national treasure, especially in the context of legislation that is
supposed to support our men and women in uniform while our nation remains
at war.

"Drilling proponents have failed to include Arctic drilling on energy,
budget and defense bills.  Desperately, attempting to bribe the American
people with $100 is a new low.

"Americans want real energy solutions that protect special places like the
Arctic Refuge. Drilling proponents tried every excuse, but Americans know
that Arctic drilling would not put a dent in our dependence on foreign oil,
would do nothing to strengthen our national security, and would not save
consumers money at the pump.  To address America's energy problems, the
Senate should instead increase the fuel economy of cars, trucks and SUVs,
boost energy efficiency, and increase our use of renewable energy like wind
and solar power.

"A recent report from the U.S. Department of Energy's own Energy
Information Administration (EIA) estimates that even 20 years down the
road, when Arctic Refuge oil would be at or near peak production, gas
prices would only be affected by about a penny per gallon. The United
States sits on just 3 % of the world's known petroleum reserves. Government
estimates indicate that there is less than a year's supply of oil in the
Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, and even the oil industry admits it would
take 10 years to make it to US markets."

###

David Willett
National Press Secretary
Sierra Club