Re: E-M:/ Conservation leaders form political action committee

Enviro-Mich message from Roger Kuhlman <rokuhlman@yahoo.com>

Are you claiming that there are no major, significant
ecological differences  between natural fire and
clearcutting as habitat and ecosytem shaping
processes. That is very unlikely if we consider how
the two different processes operate on the composition
and relationships of animal and insect communities,
plant communities, and soil micro-organism
communities. Fire in many ecosytems is necessary for
many different types of long-term nutrient recycling
to occur. It is also necessary to facilitate certain
normal changes in plant cover or inhibit other plant
changes that would occur if fire was suppressed. Fire
is necessary to create and maintain biodiversity in
many ecosystems which surely includes Jackpine
ecosystems. Natural fires since they burn irregularly
produce rich random arrays of microhabitats of high
diversity. Most of these features of ecosystem health
are missing from clearcuts. Clearcutting simplies
ecoystems with regular patterns. It does not supply
adequate subtitutes for necessary fire-derived
ecological changes. In the long run a clearcut
ecosystem becomes biologically and ecologically
simplied and habitats much more regularized. With
simplification and regularization an ecosytem's
biodiversity and complexity is damaged. It is not for
nothing that many forest ecosystems including
Michigan's Jackpine forests were intensively shaped
and manipulated by natural fire. They did not come
into being through processes of clearcutting or
anything similar. So it is a bit unbelievable to say
there are no major ecological differences between a
clearcut Jackpine forest and a natural fire Jackpine
forest.

Even if a clearcut Jackpine forest bore some
resemblance to a natural fire forest and helped with
the breeding of the Kirtland's Warbler, clearcutting
is not a sustainable long term method to 'save' the
Jackpine forest or the Kirtland's Warbler. It works as
long as there is the political will to fund the
clearcutting. Maybe that will continue for 20, 30
years but eventually it will run out. Then the
Jackpine forests will still be subject to fire
suppression and as a result will eventually
deteriorate. Also you can bet that by the time the
funding for clearcutting dissipates there will be even
more exurban development in the area with even greater
habitat fragmentation than exists today. This type of
development is great for Cowbirds a major parasitic
threat to the Kirtland Warbler population. Also
development brings many more invasive plants into easy
contact with the Jackpine forest that will inevitably
do great ecological damage.

Good ecological planning must focus on the long run
and rely on natural disturbance factors for
maintaining ecosystem health. Habitat fragmentation
must be actively combatted. These facts are being
shortchanged today for short term fixes that will not
hold up in the long run.

Roger Kuhlman
Ann Arbor, Michigan

There are plenty of subsidies for the wealthy to build
vacation homes in Jackpine forests. Just take a look
at federal taxation policies, major roads built into
the area, state policing, township building codes and
development policies, etc. It does not make a lot of
ecological sense to have a lot of people living in
Jackpine forests. That people are there and insist on
being protected from fires means that the natural
disturbance factors of fire that are central to the
creation and health of the forest ecosystem must be
suppressed. The result is ecosystem damage.