Re: E-M:/ N.E.T. statement on CAFE hearing

Enviro-Mich message from Vicki Levengood <vleven@ameritech.net>

Hello William,

The CAFÉ analysis assumes an average of 36 miles per
gallon phased in linearly over 10 years.  This
translates to an overall 42.5 mpg for passenger cars
and 30 mpg for light trucks, based on the latest auto
sales data from the Bureau of Transportation
Statistics (BTS, part of DOT).  The average miles per
year per type of vehicle comes from EIA?s Annual
Energy Review.  These factors are combined with
current fuel economy requirements for passenger cars
and light trucks to create a year-by-year calculation
that accounts for increasing fuel economy and
generates the amount of gasoline used and saved
compared to current CAFÉ standards.

For more information about the methodology, please
feel free to contact:

Tom Natan, Research Director
National Environmental Trust
1200 18th Street, NW, Fifth Floor