Re: E-M:/ FW: State, Dow commit to expedite resolution of dioxin situation

Enviro-Mich message from "Robert McCann" <mccannr@michigan.gov>

Rita -

The Governor and Mr. Liveris were simply reaffirming their commitment to moving this process forward.

As I'm sure you are aware, this is a great deal of work to be done this year.  Dow has resubmitted their Remedial Investigation Workplans (which are posted on our website) which outline a great deal of this.

Right now, we are using the framework and Dow's operating license to guide this process forward, and will continue to do so.  I would hope that you would agree that the progress we have made over the past couple of years is certainly moving us in the right direction (versus very little movement at all prior to that).  I understand that many people are looking for final answers right now, but the reality is we don't have all of the information we need to know those answers.  But through our ongoing efforts, we are working to arrive at that answer sooner rather than later.

We are having our next quarterly meeting next week in Saginaw to discuss the plans for this year which will include the DEQ's comments on Dow's resubmitted plans.  I think it will be a good opportunity for everyone to get a feel for where we're at, where we're going, and where we hope to wind up.

Bob

Robert McCann
Press Secretary
Phone:  517-241-7397
Fax:  517-241-7401
Email: mccannr@michigan.gov

>>> "Rita Jack" <rita.jack@sierraclub.org> 05/03/06 12:51 PM >>>
Dear Michigan,

Please see the announcement below, released yesterday by the Governor's
office.  I would like to see some clarification, and to have some words and
phrases defined, and I would like to know more about exactly how this moves
the process along any faster, how this removes dioxins from the floodplain,
how this protects children now.  I've used quotation marks to help discern
the language of the announcement from my comments.  The full announcement is
below my message.

1.  "The Governor and Liveris agreed that Dow will continue current
activities to develop and complete remedial investigation work plans in
cooperation with the state's Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ).
Also, by the end of 2006, the DEQ and Dow will be responsible for
accelerating completion of activities necessary for achieving significant
progress consistent with the requirements of Dow's operating license and the
framework agreement signed in January 2005."

How does Dow and MDEQ concurrently "develop and complete remedial
investigation work plans" AND "accelerate completion of activities necessary
for achieving significant progress"??  How is "achieve significant progress"
defined, what does that actually MEAN?  How does one measure "significant"
progress?  Does it mean there will be measurably less dioxin contamination
on the Tittabawassee floodplain and in the Tittabawassee River sediments?
The framework agreement was signed in January 2005 - and the end of 2006
will be almost two full years since it was signed.  It seems to me that
anything less than "significant progress" by the end of 2 years after such a
huge hoopla would be awful embarrassing.

2.  What does "address" mean as it is used in "pledged to the residents of
the region to address the dioxin/furan situation".  Does that mean to
actually clean up the dioxins, or just to cover them up so that the spring
floods of 2007 and 2008 and 2009 and beyond can uncover them again?  And in
the subject line, what is meant by "resolution", exactly?  Does THAT mean
cleanup, does that mean they'll remove the dioxins???

3.  "The state and Dow have already created a roadmap to resolve the
outstanding issues in the framework.  Now we need to build on that success."
A friend recently said in response to this announcement "Somewhere on the
contaminated floodplain a child was born in 2001. This fall she  will be
entering kindergarten. I submit when she graduates from high school her
river and yard will still be contaminated.."     My friend is correct.  How
many more years will children of the Tittabawassee River floodplain be
subjected to these insidiously toxic compounds?  It's already been many
generations.  Success is not a "plan" to "address" toxic contamination.
Success is when that contamination is actually gone, when it's safe for
little kids to play in the dirt in their yards and at the city park, and
when hunters can safely consume the wildlife they hunt and anglers can
safely eat the fish they catch, and it's when the Tittabawassee and the
Saginaw Rivers are no longer passing more toxic contamination to Lake Huron.

-Rita

><><><><><>><><><><>

Rita Jack

Water Sentinels Project, Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter

tel:  517-484-2372

Make all Michigan's waters fishable and swimmable.

  _____

State, Dow Commit to Expedite Resolution of Dioxin/Furan Situation

LANSING - Governor Jennifer M. Granholm today announced that she and Andrew
Liveris, president, CEO and chairman of the Dow Chemical Company (Dow), have
reaffirmed their commitment to resolve the historic Mid-Michigan dioxin and
furan situation.

The Governor and Liveris agreed that Dow will continue current activities to
develop and complete remedial investigation work plans in cooperation with
the state's Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ).  Also, by the end of
2006, the DEQ and Dow will be responsible for accelerating completion of
activities necessary for achieving significant progress consistent with the
requirements of Dow's operating license and the framework agreement signed
in January 2005.

"Dow is obligated through its operating license and has pledged to the
residents of the region to address the dioxin/furan situation and ensure the
environment and public health are protected," Granholm said.  "Focusing on
accelerating progress, while supporting the framework and the on-going
negotiation process, is the best path forward toward a comprehensive
resolution that enhances the economic, residential, and recreational
opportunities for the Mid-Michigan region."

Liveris added, "The state and Dow have already created a roadmap to resolve
the outstanding issues in the framework.  Now we need to build on that
success.  When you focus on key activities and hold all parties accountable
for completing them, things get done.  This approach will drive the process
forward more expeditiously, and that is good for the Mid-Michigan region,
the state, and the company."

The discussion about the dioxin and furan situation was part of a much
broader discussion the Governor and Liveris recently had about the economic
vitality of Mid-Michigan.  Liveris reaffirmed Dow's commitment to the region
and the state and his desire to see increased manufacturing located in the
region.  They also discussed new and innovative ways for the state to
continue attracting operations of other globally competitive companies to
Michigan.

# # #