E-M:/ TC Beach Grooming Hearing

Title: Message

The Great Lakes Need Your Help!!!

    On Wednesday, May 17, the MDEQ will hold a hearing in Traverse City to gather to public input regarding the beach grooming laws that were passed several years ago.

    The hearing will be held at the Hagerty Center from 7-9 p.m.

    The MDEQ recently published a study which outlines the environmental impacts of these laws.  The study was conducted by well-known experts on coastal wetlands.  The study is available at http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-135-3313_3687-10202--,00.html

    This very thorough scientific study identifies the clearly negative impact of beach “dooming” on critical coastal wetland habitats and fish populations.  If you care about the health of our Great Lakes ecosystem, please come to this hearing and let your voice be heard.

    These laws are due to “sunset” off the books in 2006.  In their place, the MDEQ has recommended the adoption of general permits to allow for limited measures to allow water access.  These permits are also available on the site above.

    Please consider attending and speaking on behalf of protecting our Great Lakes shoreline from ill-advised and damaging beach “dooming.”

    Call John Nelson or Anne Brasie at 935-1514 if you have questions.

Kellie Ferguson
Operations Coordinator
Assistant Project Coordinator
The Watershed Center Grand Traverse Bay