From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Alex J. Sagady &
Associates
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 3:14 PM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: E-M:/ Sediment observations

-

In southern Michigan this is ideal weather to get outside
and go and observe just how bad your local streams are
effected by erosion and sedimentation.

After rains in the last 24 hours, most soils will be saturated
and we have 30-70% probability of rain predictions in the
next 5 days....

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=lan

Go out and observe streams in your county...   are they
full of brown, turbid water from sediments running off of fields and
construction sites?   Just remember that the Michigan
DEQ completely completely ignored these problems when it drew up
its draft year 2006 designations of impaired waterways in
Michigan.

With saturated soil conditions you can also observe the actors
that are causing sedimentation of our waterways....who has
a cover crop down and crop residue down and who doesn't.  ....
and what construction sites are trashing local streams from
uncontrolled release of sediments.

Perhaps I can go to my favorite sedimentation observation
spot in Clinton County and get some video to show you
what I mean when it starts raining again.

Sedimentation of streams isn't a particularly "sexy" environmental
issue, but it is the number one threat to aquatic stream habitat
and aquatic diversity of flora and fauna.

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com

enviro-mich"