Re: E-M:/ Michigan parkland on the chopping block

Perhaps the case can be made that Proud Lake should be sold off, but it shouldn't be the product of an agency decision  buttressed by support from groups and individuals that it nurtures, cultivates and co-opts.  Four years ago, there was the promise that the DNR and DEQ would be recombined, that the DNR Commission would be reinvigorated, its authority restored, and the public again actively engaged in decisions about parklands and other state resources.  Didn't happen. Instead we have the same Engler-era dynamic.  No state parkland should be sold until a legitimate public process and decisionmaking role is put into place to decide the disposition of public lands.

Christopher Graham wrote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------- Enviro-Mich message from Christopher Graham ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi, LuAnne --

Again, though this time to the list as a whole, I have to take exception to your point of view.

Keith Charters is one of the finest NRC Commissioners to ever serve.  His integrity is impeccable.  To imply that he is "thick-skinned" against bona fide issues and points of view in regard to the Land Consolidation Strategy is completely erroneous.  He is and must be thick-skinned against those who are unreasonable in their assertions.

In the case of Proud Lake, the fairly sizable parcel now outside the boundary (about which you are complaining) are lands once owned by the Federal government, used for years as a nuclear missile (NIKE) launch site.

When that activity was mothballed, the land was purchased by Michigan hunter funds, and added to Proud Lake Recreation area as a hunting property.  This was done even though it is quite some distance away and isolated from the bulk of that parkland.  Hunting was good there, in those days, so perhaps it seemed worth it.

Then came rampant housing development, now completely surrounding this property, over the last 25 years.

Given a 400 foot setback requirement imposed as state law for no hunting zones near residential houses -- this land has become out of bounds for hunting.

Given that wildlife has departed the area, the issue is mute anyway.

So now comes the MDNR looking for practical ways to make sense of their land holdings, via their quite important to do "Land Consolation Strategy."

Seeing that this property is a piece they are legally bound not to use for any purpose but hunting, seeing that it is land that is isolated and quite apart from the rest of the Proud Lake resource they must steward -- they conclude they will place it outside the curret view of practical boundaries.  In some of the first steps of disposing of such land, they have offered it to local communities to use as park land.  A school site is planned on part, a locally owned and operated park may happen on the rest of these lands.  These negotiations are much under way.

What would you do, observing the constraints?

If it were me and it is the MDNR, I would find a local government and school that needs and wants the land for their park or school purposes, and sell it to them.  Then I would take the money (though these things most often work without money but in trade), and find land that is big enough and suitable enough to allow the original purpose of having the State owned land in the first place, to be better sustained.

This is what is happening.

I must say I do not understand what you are talking about, why you continue to so object without good reason, and why you would be so critical of Keith Charters.

I bring my concern up to all on this list so that they are aware someone, at least, does not see eye to eye with you.

Chris.