RE: SPAM-LOW: Re: E-M:/ Michigan parkland on the chopping block

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Enviro-Mich message from Christopher Graham -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Christopher,

LuAnne did not say Keith Charters is thick skinned; if you read her post again, you will see that she is quoting Keith himself.

Given the rampant housing you quote, it seems ridiculous that the state would surrender the chance to preserve some wild area in the middle of it.

It also seems impossible that wildlife has completely left 570 acres. I know that we have much smaller wooded areas in urban Grand Rapids, and we often see deer and wild turkey on the edges of them.

Finally, even with the 400 foot set back, if the entire area was surrounded by houses, you would still have 410 huntable acres.

So, we have a huntable “fairly sizable parcel” of mostly wetlands in an area becoming increasingly developed. It seems to me that the preservation of such an area is of utmost importance.

In my opinion, when the state comes into the possession of land, especially wilderness or parkland (or land that can be restored to wilderness), the state should make every effort to hang on to that land. We have little enough as it is, especially with the development pressures. This plays into a whole host of issues. One is that we cannot continue to build at this incredible rate. Our urban areas can surely use infill development. And most of the growth is not managed; parks, wilderness, and open space are often not planned for. Isolated parcels, such as Proud Lake, will become our parks of tomorrow (or now).

Finally, we need to acknowledge the value of undeveloped land. If the state continues to hold onto this 570 acres, it should not be considered wasted, but preserved. It should be held as valuable open space resource for all citizens of the State of Michigan (and especially the citizens in that area of the state). I don’t think the state acknowledges this value. I think the state sees undeveloped land (park or not) only as resource to develop. And that, I think, is the real danger to our remaining undeveloped areas.

Best Regards,

Christopher Reader

Friends of Garfield Park