E-M:/ Washtenaw County Land Acquisition

Enviro-Mich message from Smileysmlc@aol.com

I am delighted to announce that the Washtenaw County Natural Areas
Preservation Program has purchased 160-acres at the corner of Ford and Prospect Roads in
Superior Township!  The Ann Arbor News recently ran an article announcing
this $3.1 million acquisition; however, that article actually came out before the
closing.  The purchase is now a done deal and the land is officially
protected!

The Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy (SMLC) is pleased to have played a
key role in having the County acquire this wonderful property.  The Conservancy
worked with the landowner to apply to the County program, and SMLC was also
instrumental in generating public support.  The Southeast Michigan Land
Conservancy also pledged to maintain nature trails and oversee habitat restoration
efforts for the County for a minimum of 10 years.  The Conservancy hopes to raise
funds sufficient to endow our ability to perpetually maintain the property
for the County.

The land is a mix of wetlands, forest and open farm land and it adjoins the
Conservancy's 30-acre Springhill Nature Preserve.  It is also in close
proximity to 584-acres which were previously acquired (through 8 purchases) and
protected by the Conservancy.  SMLC has also secured another 375-acres in the area
through conservation easements, comprising the start of a significant greenbelt
between Detroit and Ann Arbor.  A total of 1,389 acres are now permanently
protected in this corridor through the collaborative efforts of Washtenaw
County, Superior Township, and the Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy.

Special thanks are due to the following groups for supporting this
acquisition:  Detroit Audubon Society, Washtenaw Audubon Society, Michigan Botanical
Club, Sierra Club - Huron Valley Group, Washtenaw Land Trust, and Friends of the
Rouge.  We hope that this partnership will grow so that this Detroit/Ann Arbor
Greenbelt will rise to national prominence.

The County intends to continue farming much of the land this year, so it will
generally not be open to the public at this time.  Our intent is to develop a
habitat restoration plan which we can begin to implement next year.

A public cleanup of the property has been scheduled for Saturday, June 3, at
10 a.m.  Since the property is in the westernmost headwaters of the Rouge
River watershed, the cleanup will be held as part of the Rouge Rescue activities,
sponsored by Friends of the Rouge, which are happening that day throughout the
watershed.  Please plan to join us if you are available.  (Please RSVP to
reserve a free T-shirt.)  We will be meeting at the driveway on the east side of
Prospect Road, just south of Ford Road.

We salute the Washtenaw County Parks and Recreation Commission, and the
Natural Areas Technical Advisory Committee, for protecting this important property.
 It is always a pleasure to work with them and with the dedicated Parks
Commission staff--especially Bob Tetens, Director, and Tom Freeman, Superintendent
of Park Planning.  This is a tremendous acquisition which will be cherished by
generations to come!

Jack Smiley
Executive Director
Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy