Re: E-M:/ RE: / population/immigration

One issue that I haven't seen addressed (maybe I missed it) in regards to this immigration debate is that of urban sprawl.  More people means more houses and neighborhoods, and less wetlands and forests and green.  And no, I am not blaming immigrants for this problem that we already have, nor do I have an "I-got-here-first-so-it's-mine" (after the Native Americans, of course) opinion.  It is simply a fact that 500 million people will mean less natural habitat.  I can already hear the argument that many immigrants locate in cities and do not contribute to the problem, that this is a problem of American over-consumption, but as they assimilate won't they be attracted for the most part to this kind of lifestyle?  Many immigrants come here to get out of the overcrowded slums and shantytowns and I don't think their goal is to relocate to a similar environment only made out of cement instead.

Another issue is money.  This legislation is going to cost a lot of money.  Could those funds be better used for cleaning up Superfund sites? researching clean fuels? urban revitalization projects? public health? or even for international aid, used for education of people about natural or unnatural methods of birth control, environmental education, or education as a whole so we make every country a livable place, instead of perpetuating the brain drain and emigration that further depresses the economies of the countries supplying the most immigrants?

I am not a racist nor a fascist, nor am I looking at this simplistically.  Emigration/immigration can be a problem for both sides of the fence.

~Melissa Fava

John Rohe <john@rohemail.com> wrote:
Enviro-Mich message from "John Rohe"

Tanya,
I wish we could simply ignore this issue.
Sadly, the legalization process apporved by the Senate will cause our
numbers to breach 500 million by 2050 (see www.fairus.org). It is
environmental malpractice (to quote Democratic Governor Dick Lamm of
Colorado) to not address this issue.
And, once we open a meaningful dialogue, we will be on the track toward
developing a rational, sensitive, compassionate, nondiscriminatory, and
sensible immigration policy.
Sincerely,
John F. Rohe