E-M:/ Job Opening: Environment Michigan Advocate

Environment Michigan Advocate

Background

On the face of it, protecting and cleaning up Michigan’s environment should not be difficult. The causes of environmental destruction are as obvious as the solutions, and most people strongly support measures to improve our water quality, clean up our air and preserve our open spaces.  So then why is Michigan’s environment threatened?

The truth is that our environment and public health will always be at risk as long as powerful special interests use their influence to prevent strong environmental protections. To overcome such resistance, citizens must band together and make a sustained effort to convince our decision makers that environmental protection is worth the effort.

That is where Environment Michigan (the new home for PIRGIM’s environmental work) comes in. Since 1973, we have been advocating on the public's behalf for environmental & consumer protection as well as improvements to the democratic process.  We are a statewide, multi-issue environmental advocacy organization which employs the time-tested tools of investigative research, media attention, grassroots organizing, advocacy and litigation to deliver consistent, results-oriented public interest activism on the state level.  Our staff work not just to develop solutions to the environmental problems facing Michigan's citizens, but to translate those ideas into concrete results, by organizing citizens into a powerful political force and directly arguing the merits of the issues to decision makers.

Job Description

Environment Michigan is looking to hire an Advocate to develop and continue policy campaigns to protect the waters of the Great Lakes, promote alternative energy solutions, and ensure sensible land use.

On a day-to-day basis, the Advocate will do the following:

Advocacy: Bringing problems/solutions to the attention of decision-makers-including state legislators, people in the Executive branch, environmental agency staff and local officials.

Campaign Strategy: Create a plan to win on our environmental campaigns; strategize how to gain political support for our agenda through coalition-building, grassroots organizing, media publicity, endorsements and message development.

Media Outreach: Serve as the public spokesperson for our environmental campaigns -through media events, press releases, editorial board meetings and other PR tactics.

Fundraising: Write grant proposals, impress foundations with an environmental mission to support our work, and meet with large donors, all to bring more resources to our efforts to protect Michigan's environment.

Policy Development: Developing new policy areas for Environment Michigan to tackle. Analyzing and creating new issue areas based on current political situations and hot issues that arise in the state.

Location

Lansing or Ann Arbor, MI

Qualifications

Candidates must be deeply passionate about protecting the environment and persistent in the face of challenges. We're looking for someone with leadership skills and initiative, and the verbal and written skills necessary to make the case that protecting the environment must be a top priority. Candidates should have 3 to 8 years of relevant professional experience, post-college, including (but not limited to) work in political, policy, legal, journalistic, or government settings.

Salary & Benefits

Salary for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees. A competitive benefits package includes health care coverage, educational loan assistance, a retirement plan, and paid vacation and sick days. Opportunities for advancement, travel, and additional training are available.

Application

Send a cover letter and resume to:

Environment Michigan

103 E. Liberty Street, Suite 202

Ann Arbor, MI 48104

info@environmentmichigan.org

The National Association of State PIRGs and all PIRG-affiliated organizations are equal opportunity employers and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.