Re: E-M:/ IRS attacks bogus conservation easements

Enviro-Mich message from Andrew Mutch <andrewimutch@yahoo.com>

On first reading, I think many of us would be pleased
to see a developer punished for what appears to be
gaming the system of tax credits related to
conservation easements. Having recently visited Mount
Vernon and seen that particular subdivision next to
the Grist Mill, it definitely shows an appalling lack
of sensitivity to an important historical site. It
appears that no effort was made to buffer the
development from the adjacent Grist Mill. Having said
that, I'm concerned about the viewpoint that only
places value on land when it can be developed for
homes or strip malls. While land use regulations like
rules governing floodplans can limit the development
value of property, this land can also have other value
including public benefit that comes from public access
and the preservation of natural resources. Let's stop
the abuses of the tax credits for conservation
easements but let's not devalue the benefits of
preserving land and water resources for our residents
and our communities.

Andrew Mutch
Novi

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/03/AR2006060300882_pf.html