Re: E-M:/ Uranium exploration in the UP

At 08:57 PM 06/18/2006, John Rebers wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from John Rebers <jrebers@nmu.edu>
>
>The Marquette Monthly has a good article in their June issue about uranium exploration in the UP. An abbreviated version of the article is available online at http://mmnow.com/z_current_a/b/c/iod.html. According to the web site, the full article will be available in the MM archives in July. The Marquette Monthly is distributed free, for those in the UP with access to one of their distribution sites.
>
>Quick synopsis: Mining companies Bitterroot Resources and Cameco are exploring for uranium in the western UP. Concerns have been raised whether Part 632 mining regulations, which cover the mining of all non-ferrous minerals, will be adequate to deal with the specific hazards of mining radioactive ore.

If memory serves me correctly the metallic mineral lease Michigan
adopted in the late 70's - early 80's would make Michigan
taxpayers the proud owner of uranium mill tailings after a certain
period after mining operations cease.

>John Rebers

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com