E-M:/ When Republicans Were Green -- Dave Dempsey speaks Tuesday, June 20 in Ann Arbor

Imagine a time when protecting our state's unrivaled environmental heritage isn't a Democratic issue or a Republican issue, but rather is a Michigan issue.

We once had such a time.  During William Milliken's tenure as Governor from 1969 to 1982, Republicans and Democrats came together to tackle the toughest environmental issues of the day.  What resulted sounds incredible today:  genuine bipartisan cooperation to safeguard our shared environment.

Can it happen again?  Find out on Tuesday, June 20 when
Dave Dempsey -- author of the new book 'William G. Milliken: Michigan?s Passionate Moderate" --
presents When Republicans were Green: Michigan's Golden Age Under Governor Milliken.

Newcomers are welcome to this free, family-friendly event, which begins at 7:30 pm at the lovely Matthaei Botanical Gardens, just east of Ann Arbor.

After the presentation, you can mingle over refreshments with friendly people who share your interest in nature.  You can learn about local Sierra Club activities like hiking, skiing, and conservation projects.  We'll also have EarthCash shopping vouchers for purchase by cash or check.  You can help stop sprawl while shopping at your favorite stores -- at no additional cost to you.  Thanks to hundreds of participants, we contributed $43,000 to pass Michigan's boldest anti-sprawl initiative.  With your help, we'll do even more.

I hope to see you Tuesday.  All are welcome; no membership is required.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Doug Cowherd
Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

The Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group's public programs are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth roads, just east of Ann Arbor), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public.

July 18 Public Program:  "Hunters of the Sky:  Up Close and Personal With Live Hawks, Falcons, and Owls" -- Francie Krawcke

Events information:
http://www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/