Re: E-M:/ An Inconvenient Truth

PREMIER SHOWING IN GRAND RAPIDS JUNE 29th at 7PM ! ! !

Just adding to the other 'An Inconvenient Truth" showing the West Michigan Sierra Club has reserved a small block of tickets for the Premier showing of "An Inconvenient Truth" seeing that they easily could sell out on this night.  If you want to see the movie there is a big advantage in seeing the GR Premier showing because there will be booths from local organizations there that evening as well as a panel discussion moderated by Michael Lloyd, Editor from the GR Press. On the panel is Dr Natalia Andronova, who's a research Scientist in the Earth Climate Research Group of the Univ of Michigan, Lisa Oliver-King (non-profit "Our Kitchen Table", representing community), Steve Bouma-Prediger (Hope College, eco-theologian), Mark LaCroix (Vice President of Global Sustainability with Interface Fabrics)  and our own mayor, Mayor George Heartwell.

Please call Sue Norman at 616-891-9055 if interested in getting tickets and attending the premier.  The cost is $8.00 per ticket and Sue's mailing address is; 8160 Jason Court, Caledonia, MI  49316.  Her email address is;

See the informational announcement below from the key sponsor West Michigan Environmental Action Council (WMEAC).

****************************************************************************************************************************************

Hello All,

We are very pleased to announce an important upcoming event:

West Michigan Environmental Action Council (WMEAC)
Center for Environmental Study (CES)
C.A. Frost Environmental Science Academy &
Loeks Theatres, Inc.

Will host the local premiere showing of

AnInconvenientTruth
"A global warning"

Thursday, June 29, 7 p.m.
Studio 28

Followed by a panel discussion moderated by Michael Lloyd, Editor of the Grand Rapids Press.

“From director Davis Guggenheim comes the Sundance Film Festival hit, AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH, which offers a passionate and inspirational look at one man's fervent crusade to halt global warming's deadly progress in its tracks by exposing the myths and misconceptions that surround it. That man is former Vice President Al Gore, who, in the wake of defeat in the 2000 election, re-set the course of his life to focus on a last-ditch, all-out effort to help save the planet from irrevocable change. With wit, smarts and hope, AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH ultimately brings home Gore's persuasive argument that we can no longer afford to view global warming as a political issue - rather, it is the biggest moral challenges facing our global civilization.”

Roger Ebert has given An Inconvenient Truth a Four-star review writing in the Chicago Sun-Times:

“The director, Davis Guggenheim, uses words, images and Gore’s concise litany of facts to build a film that is fascinating and relentless. In 39 years, I have never written these words in a movie review, but here they are: You owe it to yourself to see this film. If you do not, and you have grandchildren, you should explain to them why you decided not to.”

“surprisingly engaging…intellectually exhilarating,…could hardly be more urgent. “An Inconvenient Truth” is a necessary film” - A.O. Scott, The New York Times

“…illuminating, fascinating and sometimes frightening.” - Claudia Puig, USA Today

“highly persuasive” - Kevin Crust, The Los Angeles Times

You can see the trailer at http://www.climatecrisis.net

Tickets are $8.00.  Blocks of 20 or more may be purchased in advance by contacting Lisa Locke at WMEAC, 451.3051, or llocke@wmeac.org.  We anticipate a sellout so come early.  Local groups will have exhibits before and after the film/panel discussion, starting at 6 p.m., where you can learn what you can do as groups and individuals to address this critical issue.   Schuler Books will be there with a display of recent issue-related publications for sale.  Look for our bus ads around town over the next few weeks.  See attached.

The challenge is immense, but so is our resolve.  Our quality of life, our children’s lives – our planet – depend on it.

We can make a difference!  Start here!!

The film will show for a minimum of two weeks, depending on response.  Please spread the word.  Bring your family, your friends, your coworkers, members of your faith community.  Consider a group viewing followed by your own discussion group.  We will try to have facilitators available upon request.

Hope to see you there!

All best,

Lisa

Lisa Locke
Associate Director
West Michigan Environmental Action Council
1007 Lake Drive SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49506-2755
(616) 451-3051
Fax: (616) 451-3054