E-M:/ House Adjourns with NO ACTION ON CAFO BILLS

Today, the Michigan House of Representatives adjourned its regular session for summer break without bringing the Animal Factory Polluter Bills (HB 5711-5716) for action.  Multiple times now there have been efforts to run these bills through the House, and each time the effort was foiled.  While the bills are very much alive and the Legislature will meet periodically over the summer, fall and early winter, it seems clear that there is a growing awareness that these bills would effectively deregulate CAFOs from environmental laws while doing virtually to help other farmers voluntarily improve environmental management.

Stay tuned for more details shortly about the shape of the debate.  If you have questions, please contact Gayle Miller or me and we’ll be happy to talk with you about the specifics.

Anne Woiwode, State Director

Sierra Club Mackinac (Michigan) Chapter

517-484-2372