E-M:/ Inconvenient Truth and more....

I saw "An Inconvenient Truth" last Friday and it is indeed a
movie with a powerful message that should be seen by every
American citizen....it is a shame that G. W. Bush said he wouldn't
be viewing it....

It is now playing in a theater near you....go see it and show your
support for the public awareness campaign on global warming.

While Al Gore's slide show is featured it isn't dry material.  It is
presented in a compelling, dramatic but scientific way.   AIT tells
an interesting story in a very personal way of Gore's experience of
it.   Parts of it have the feeling tone of an art movie, like the deeply
personal views of war in the "Thin Red Line."

Here is what James Hansen has to say about the AIT movie in
a review of the two books on climate change and the movie AIT
(James Hansen is Director of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space
Studies and Adjunct Professor of Earth and Environmental
Sciences at Columbia University?s Earth Institute. (July 2006) ):

"Indeed, Gore was prescient. For decades he has maintained that the Earth was teetering in the balance, even when doing so subjected him to ridicule from other politicians and cost him votes. By telling the story of climate change with striking clarity in both his book and movie, Al Gore may have done for global warming what Silent Spring did for pesticides. He will be attacked, but the public will have the information needed to distinguish our long-term well-being from short-term special interests."

"An Inconvenient Truth is about Gore himself as well as global warming. It shows the man that I met in the 1980s at scientific roundtable discussions, passionate and knowledgeable, true to the message he has delivered for years. It makes one wonder whether the American public has not been deceived by the distorted images of him that have been presented by the press and television. Perhaps the country came close to having the leadership it needed to deal with a grave threat to the planet, but did not realize it."

Here is the whole Hansen article and reviews:
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/19131

When you're done with the Hansen article, check out
this latest bit of national craziness documented by
one of my heroes, journalist Seymour Hersch
http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060710fa_fact

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com